walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban (mamores)

Stob Ban (mamores)

Postby Coop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:06 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 09/11/2016

Time taken: 6.333 hours

Ascent: 999m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The lad had been saying for months he would come "up the hills" but today was his first munro.

It was a long way to go, knowing if the weather was too bad, I might not even venture onto the path by the car park. It was also a long way to go for one munro.
None of that mattered. He loved it, never moaned, and I reckon he'll be back out in the spring with me.

Different kettle of fish when you're not just looking after yourself on the hills, but always keeping one eye on someone else.
It's ok when you're a wee bit geographically embarrassed on your tod, but when someone else is saying "which way now, is that the summit, are you sure" things change a little, and you've got to be confident you're doing the right thing.

As I said, only one today, about a foot of snow in places on Stob ban, mist was down, no path after crossing the stream. There was an overhang of snow all along the ridge leading up to the summit so made sure both of us were well away from the edge. Nice climb up and glad when I got him to the summit,
Cup of coffee, quick bite to eat, summit foto and cautiously back down the way we went up. Gloves were starting to freeze, feet were a wee bit cold and I could see if I went on to mullach nan coirean , then it might be a ridge too far.

Back down the way we came, easy enough, as ours were the only footprints in the snow leading up.

Down to the car park in 6h 20mins. Changed and dried and then back through glencoe and home.
At 0630 this morning he couldn't see a thing going through so we had a couple of stops on the way back and he looked up in awe at the mountains- even though most of the summits were covered in mist.
Great day, but I reckon if I have to go on the hills again before the spring, I'll invest in crampons.
Cap doffed to Stob ban and I'm actually glad I know I'll be back up there again.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland