walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bright and sunny but a little breezy

Bright and sunny but a little breezy

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:43 am

Fionas included on this walk: Blackcraig Hill, Windy Standard

Donalds included on this walk: Alhang, Blackcraig Hill, Blacklorg Hill, Moorbrock Hill, Windy Standard

Date walked: 06/11/2016

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1380m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although forecast to be very windy with -10c or so wind chill, the forecast for the south looked to be the best for the day. Had a relatively long lie before the drive of less than an hour down through New Cumnock and down the road to the reservoir. Parked in a wee layby at the side of the road at NS630083.

Afton activelog 6nov2016.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Enough light just after 0700hrs not to require a headtorch. Walked along the road for a short way then took the Blackcraig track which winds its way up beside the Langlee Burn to Quntin Knowe.

From there headed south up to Blackcraig Hill

Some boggier stretches to walk round on the way but many were frosted over and quite crisp

Nearing the top got to a barbed wire fence – had to walk eastwards for a short way to find the wee stile

Then on to the summit

Some snow over towards the Merrick and co

Then on SSE towards Blacklorg Hill

It was bright and sunny but the wind was extremely strong. Was glad of the decision to keep the northerly wind behind me at the start. Even so it did make it very cold and difficult holding the camera steady for photos.

The reservoir looking blue in the distance

Then rather cold and windswept on closer inspection

Over Alwhat and Alhang

Turned to the NE and dropped down a little before the climb up to just below Millaneoch Hill

Turned left and headed up towards Windy Standard

Decision time now as to whether to continue on towards the donald, Moorbrock Hill. Still plenty of time left although still extremely windy. This bit would also be an out and back.

Moorbrock Hill looking rather far away

Straightforward enough walk. Got to the northerly high point

but looked like the summit was more to the south east so walked down to the 650m point.

Summit cairn and Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Now began the walk back into the wind – hard going at times but not quite as bad as I’d thought it would be. Was starting to get hungry though.

Up and over Windy Standard again

Down to the low point before the climb up Millaneoch Hill stopped for some lunch. Thought I’d try it out to get some shelter form the wind so unpacked the two person bothy bag. “Two person” being the operative words – not quite so handy for a solo walker. Did manage to prop up the other side with the rucksack and got some shelter for the wind to eat my sandwiches and drink some coffee. Fairly long break before restarting northwards up Millaneoch Hill then on to Wedder Hill

Over Lamb Hill and up towards Black Hill to pick up the forestry track which would take me back down to the road. Lot of tree felling in the area meant that the trees marked on the map no longer existed.

Craigbraneoch Rig stood out over to the east

Watched a bird soaring for a wee while – it was calling out and I could hear another bird over to the right but couldn’t see it. Had only brought the wee digital compact which has insufficient zoom. Back home listened to some bird sounds on the intranet and reckon it sounded like it could have been a Red kite but couldn’t be sure.

Back to the road and then the walk north to the layby. Passed quite a few parked cars but hadn’t seen any other walkers. Less than an hour to drive and I was home for dinner.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Bright and sunny but a little breezy

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Enjoyed that, especially as I have a vested interest :lol:

Contemplating following your route this Sunday, however am concious about the lack of daylight hours :roll: My original plan was to split up the 5 hills and make 2 journey's but I think if I push on (like you did) I could do it in a oner :lol:

Do you think it would be possible to start at Craigdarroch and head straight up Blackcraig?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Do you think it would be possible to start at Craigdarroch and head straight up Blackcraig?
I did wonder about this when planning the route but the map suggests a ford rather than a bridge and the direct route looked as though it had crags hence the reason I opted for the longer route. However, see the link below which mentions a bridge and a slightly more direct route ? cheers :)
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20375
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks RH :wink:
Did see the other WR and read all the other ones as well, have plotted out my route and hope to do the round in about 7hours - conditions and weather permitting of course :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:59 pm

Aw naw, there's another one getting right into the old Donald bagging!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only on a Donald could you see a wind turbine growing out the top of a trig pillar! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed that, especially as I have a vested interest :lol:

Contemplating following your route this Sunday, however am concious about the lack of daylight hours :roll: My original plan was to split up the 5 hills and make 2 journey's but I think if I push on (like you did) I could do it in a onr :lol:

Do you think it would be possible to start at Craigdarroch and head straight up Blackcraig?

That was the route I took up Blackcraig - remember it being rather gruelling but that was partly due to semi-frozen grassy tussocks.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60288

Good timing for me, RH as I'm planning on going up there again on Friday - nice to see the absence of snow :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 pm

Great report RH :clap: :clap:

Good to know that Donalds and Grahams are worth a visit even if it just to see a trig point with its very own wind turbine :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland