walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Siabod and a 100- mile view

Moel Siabod and a 100- mile view

Postby andy63 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Siabod

Date walked: 31/10/2016

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 810m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I managed to catch a day of perfect weather at the end of October - possibly the last warm sunny day of the year, as it started getting cold and wet soon after. I parked in a layby at Pont Cyfyng just outside Capel Curig. There are views of the Cyfyng Falls from the parking area.

IMG_0784.JPG
Cyfyng Falls

I turned left onto a minor road and took the second footpath on the right- signposted to Moel Siabod. As you approach the mountain the path splits into two, with the right hand path going up the main ridge. I took the track on the left which goes past some small lakes and an old quarry and onto the south- east ridge.

IMG_0786.JPG
Moel Siabod

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

The path to the right of the last lake is boggy.

IMG_0793.JPG

There's a choice of routes up the south east ridge. You can scramble up the crest of the ridge or avoid some of the rocks (as I did) by following a grassy path on the left.

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG
Summit

The summit is an excellent viewpoint. Most of the Welsh 3000' mountains can be seen from here.

IMG_0798.JPG
Snowdon

IMG_0799.JPG
Glyder Fach, Tryfan and Pen Yr Ole Wen,

And on a very clear day like this you can see England's highest in the distance.

IMG_0802 - Copy.JPG
Scafell Pike etc.

IMG_0804.JPG
Moelwyn Mawr

I descended down the main north - east ridge. I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere because I ended up climbing over a lot of rocks before finding my way down onto the path.

IMG_0806.JPG
north east ridge

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG
Capel Curig
andy63

Munros:69   Corbetts:6
Grahams:10   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Moel Siabod and a 100- mile view

Postby dav2930 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Nice report & excellent pics. Looks a great hill with fab views. That's an amazing zoom shot of the Lakeland fells! :o :thumbup:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:241   Corbetts:13
Grahams:16   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:163
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Moel Siabod and a 100- mile view

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Well there's a hike that starts with a bang, that waterfall is a cracker :thumbup: Wales seems to be the place to be weather wise of late :crazy: Lovely series of shots with the old quarry coming out on top I think :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland