walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clouds 2 – McMole 0

Clouds 2 – McMole 0

Postby McMole » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat, Meikle Bin

Date walked: 19/11/2016

Time taken: 3.9 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a favourable forecast, but freezing conditions overnight, I decided to visit some nearby Marilyns that didn't require an early morning start or driving along high altitude ungritted minor roads. That was probably the right decision as even at midday there was ice across B class roads at 200m altitude.

Dumyat 419m – 5.3km, 476m, 1.3hrs
Dumyat route.gif

The morning mists appeared to be clearing as I approached Blairlogie to leave my car in the car park to its east. I had hopes of a sunlit summit and wonderful views – I was to be disappointed. I followed the route described on the Walk Highlands web site until the stile after the lone tree. All the bracken was dead so from there I headed more directly uphill to reach the main motorway to the summit as another two walkers passed along it. From here the way on turned from frost to icy patches and eventually to ice covered rock as the cloud level fell and the initially clear view of the summit gradually disappeared. One cyclist and one fell runner later I picked my way over icy rocks to the summit with its trig point, its stone-filled beacon from the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 and a memorial badge to the Argyll and Sutherland HIghlanders that replaced the 1967 original in 2014.
P1000653.JPG
P1000654 s.JPG

Another fell runner appeared and then disappeared as I photographed the badge. I then I picked my way back down over grassy slopes rather than the slippery rock. I had intended to visit the other summit, but with visibility down to about 50m I decided to wait for clearer weather.
P1000660 s.JPG
Stirling from below cloud level

I continued down retracing my upward route, passing a large group on their way up to the lonesome tree. Back in the car after a quick snack and trusting to my SatNav I set off for my second new (to me) Marilyn of the day -

Meikle Bin 570m – 10.4km, 427m, 2.3hrs
Meikle Bin route.gif

After obeying my SatNav’s predilection for cutting corners to save a few metres by taking exceedingly minor roads without passing places, I arrived at a very crowded parking place at the north end of the Carron Valley Reservoir.
P1000688 s.JPG

There were also notices announcing that sled dog racing was being held that weekend.
P1000683 s.JPG

Less than a kilometre into my walk that became obvious as the forest began to resound with the barking of many many canines. They, their sleds, vans and mushers were all parked around the first junction after crossing the River Carron.
P1000672 s.JPG

I chatted to Judy, one of the organisers, who told me that I’d probably be up and down again before the next race would go along the 500m of forest road common to their races and my route to the summit. I should, however, listen and be prepared to quickly walk off the road if I heard a sled approaching.
A gradual uphill stretch along the road eventually reached the snow level and rounded a bend to show the summit still clear of clouds.
P1000673 s.JPG

Not long after a footpath left the track to pass a picnic table on its way to the top – the path not the table! There was a collection of walkers there. A few descending and more about to start heading up.
P1000674 s.JPG

Fearing the cloud level was falling I didn’t delay, but kept on upwards to find – I was back in in cloud with 100m of ascent still to go, and back to 50m visibility again at the trig point!
P1000676 s.JPG

I hung around for a few minutes as other walkers appeared, but with no sign that the sun or view was going to return I headed back down offering encouragement to those still on their way up.
P1000677 s.JPG
Looking back at the summit

Back at the car I counted 26 vehicles parked there with more parked further along the road. I hadn’t kept a count of how many were climbing the hill, but there must have been at least 50 that day and that isn’t counting all the dog walkers some of whom were taking alternative routes to avoid the sled dog races.

A somewhat frustrating day with early promises of views dashed as the clouds foiled me by minutes on both summits. I regretted not halting beside the Carron Valley Reservoir on my way to Meikle Bin to photograph it while the morning sun shone on its snow-clad summit. There is, however, always another day.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland