walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ard - hitting the autumnal colours jackpot

Loch Ard - hitting the autumnal colours jackpot

Postby denfinella » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Route description: Kinlochard and the Crannog

Date walked: 18/10/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loch Ard was somewhere we'd been saving since the start of the year for an autumn walk. With my partner doing a late shift at work along with a forecast for sunshine but with fog on the hills and showers in the west, this midweek morning seemed a perfect time to catch the autumn colours. We altered the walkhighlands route slightly to return on a slightly higher track from near Couligarten - this made it a true circular walk (and adds some good views too).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Almost the whole route is on tracks. The first half of the outward route isn't anything special, with only occasional views across the loch. The mix of low cloud, patches of blue sky and wet ground after overnight rain made for a colourful scene though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Beyond Couligarten the track finally comes close to the loch. It was possible to get down to the water's edge in just a few places. Still water created some beautiful reflections.

6.jpg

Leaf litter:

7.jpg

The track heads away from the loch for a short inland section...

8.jpg

...before coming close to the shore again, with views out to Eilean Gorm:

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Kinlochard on the other side of the loch, still with low cloud on the hills behind:

12.jpg

Turning south to begin the return leg, we thought that was probably the most scenic part over, with dark forest to follow. But as the track climbed, more great views opened up. The track is replaced by a narrow path for a short section (a welcome change), which climbed steeply to a wonderful viewpoint just as it joined a higher track traversing the slope.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

The next kilometre is wonderfully scenic - after a few track junctions we got to the aqueduct which apparently takes water to Glasgow.

17.jpg

18.jpg

The walkhighlands route descends here to rejoin the outward track. We carried on traversing the hillside on a higher track, this time with views across the loch to its north-eastern end.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

A rather slippery path then descended steeply back to the start...

23.jpg

...but not without a few more glimpses of fantastic fiery foliage.

24.jpg
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:66   Corbetts:34
Grahams:23   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

Re: Loch Ard - hitting the autumnal colours jackpot

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Fantastic colours - thanks for posting.
Now they've all been replaced with...white :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:214   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:331   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Oh yes some beautiful photos and colours - I don't seem to get over to the Trossachs very often for some reason, but that looked lovely :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby denfinella » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Fantastic colours - thanks for posting.
Now they've all been replaced with...white :wink:

Perhaps time for me to invest in some winter gear! Though I've been reading some of your recent reports and camping at -10C isn't on my to-do list :shock:

basscadet wrote:Oh yes some beautiful photos and colours - I don't seem to get over to the Trossachs very often for some reason, but that looked lovely :)

Not much scrambling I'm afraid, but lovely nevertheless.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:66   Corbetts:34
Grahams:23   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland