walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunrise over a Wintry Glencoe

Sunrise over a Wintry Glencoe

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 26/11/2016

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Short Film -

A first proper dump of snow hit Scotland this November and some cracking high pressure systems have been settling in – a perfect combination in my eyes.

Similar to last year I decided I wanted to take some wintry sunrise shots and immediately my thoughts turned to Chrulaiste. My favourite Glencoe viewpoint and an absolute belter of a walk, I wasn’t too bothered when the alarm got me up before 4 AM! Last year (albeit a little later – was December) I headed on the same mission and had a memorable, first post op trip, up here. However a bank of cloud that provided a grand back drop later in the day prevented the glorious sunrise I was hoping for last year.

Things were looking better today though. Leaving the car around 0630am I had set my mind on trying to pick a spot on the southern slopes of Chrulaiste to try and capture the sun hitting the Buachaille’s slopes. Off I went and as always the steep start had me delayering, although it was fringing cold (-9.5 at points on the road up!). At this point I knew I had plenty of time so decided to try my hand at longer exposures and some night time shots down the glen. Glad I did as I think these shots are my favourite photos from the day out!

ImageGlencoe by night under a blanket of snow... by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagenight lights Glencoe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Numb fingers and 15 minutes later I headed back on my mission to find a sunrise shot, which I eventually found with about half an hour to spare. This is usually good as it gives time to set the tripod up and get the gear ready etc etc, however today it meant star jumps and running on the spot to keep warm. It was Baltic. I even thought about packing up and heading further on just to keep warm , but I am glad I didn’t- got a smashing sunrise, I think the patience paid off ok.

Imagedawn Glencoe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageRiver Coupall snakes by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageFirst light on the Mountain by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageFirst light on the Mountain crop by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few photos were taken then I was back moving and generating heat (que the hot aches of sorts!). The camera stayed out and thank to a spare battery kept warm in my jacket pocket, I was a happy snapper all the way back to the car. Happy days 

A few snaps

ImageSkiers by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageA86 by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageRoad to heaven by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLochan Island by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Sunrise over a Wintry Glencoe

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 am

It's a great viewpoint in the summer and just stunning in the winter :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Gordie12 wrote:It's a great viewpoint in the summer and just stunning in the winter :clap: :clap: :clap:

Think its my favourite place to catch a photo :)

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Wonderful images, as ever, WM (including the vid). The time exposure picss are a bit reminiscent a bit of GrahamW's from the the same vantage point earlier in the year, but without the white stuff.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mamoset » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Cracking pics there wilkie, looks stunning. :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 am

Lovely photos in a stunning location! Well done for braving the cold to get photos like this!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 am

Alteknacker wrote:Wonderful images, as ever, WM (including the vid). The time exposure picss are a bit reminiscent a bit of GrahamW's from the the same vantage point earlier in the year, but without the white stuff.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Alteknacker - its a perfect mountain for mountain photography, my favourite in Glencoe for sure :)

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:07 am

mamoset wrote:Cracking pics there wilkie, looks stunning. :clap:

Thank you - it certainly was and the sow made it eveno more so :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:08 am

Mountainlove wrote:Lovely photos in a stunning location! Well done for braving the cold to get photos like this!!

Thanks Mountainlove - must admit its was very very cold! However looking forward to more days like that - take it over the mild wet and windy weather an day :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:49 am

:shock: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :shock:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland