walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect winter's day in Glen Tarken

Perfect winter's day in Glen Tarken

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Each, Creag Ruadh

Date walked: 26/11/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1092m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was going to be an interrupted weekend - I was due to be on call on Saturday (my last ever weekend on call - yay!) so we could do hills on Friday and Sunday. Allison opted to be left wherever on the saturday so she could do hills on her own. The following plan was hatched - Creag Each and Creag Ruadh in Glen Tarken on Friday, drive to Tillicoultry after that & leave her to do some Ochils on Saturday whilst I do my work, then return on Sunday to collect her and climb Ben Cleuch. Organisation is everything - The Schedule is master :lol:

So we set off after work on Thursday for 90 dark miles to Comrie where we'd decided to stay again. The car told me it was -6 driving between Crianlarich and Killin. Not a cloud in the sky - it was going to be a cold night :shock: We pitched in the Low Meadow in Comrie Croft, made use of the microwave there to heat up some soup and got settled for a chilly night. Oh it was cold - the inside of the tent was lined with a thick layer of hoar frost in the mornings, last night's tea bags were frozen solid. The guy in the office said -10, I wasn't arguing. A hot shower was well received :lol:

each.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We drove the few miles to St Fillans and parked up at the start of the track into Glen Tarken. Frosty. We walked up the track then cut up the hillside beside a fence line on the slopes of Meall Reamhar - I reckoned this would have less snow than the usual gully approach recommended for Creag Each. Nice easy going, ground hard underfoot, most of the boggy bits frozen over. The snow line seemed to be sitting at around 500m. There waws a bit more encountered as we walked towards the summit of Creag Each, but not as deep as last weekend. Minimal breeze, beautiful blue sky - just a fine day to be out.

ImageDSC02110 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Ruadh across the glen
ImageDSC02111 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Dearg, across the loch
ImageDSC02112 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Each
ImageDSC02113 by Al, on Flickr

One for St Andrew's Day
ImageDSC02114 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Voil in the distance
ImageDSC02115 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Each
ImageDSC02117 by Al, on Flickr

When I'd scoped out a route for these hills I had been a bit ambitious, tagging on seven Simms to the 2 Grahams. However, winter weather calls for some Simm Sacrifice given the lack of daylight hours and the extra trudge through snow factor. I'd decided we could do the 2 Simms nearest Creag Each- the others would need to wait for another time. So we left the summit and headed west for the West Top, then north to Sron Mhor. We could see a number of deer on the horizon, poking heads over snowy hummocks to look our way. we could also hear some crazed shouting like someone calling on a lost dog or herding elk - didn't see anyone though (nor - more importantly - hear any rifle shots)

Heading to the west top
ImageDSC02118 by Al, on Flickr

We paused on Sron Mhor for lunch and considered the way ahead. I did reconsider trying to add on the 2 Simms north of Creag Ruadh but (sensibly) thought better of it - snow was thicker up there and it would have added on 4-5km. We could have dropped down to the track in the glen, but Allison suggested staying high, particularly after we summited Creag Dhubh (a 5Hundred, for God's sake). There were lovely jewelled micro-frost sculptures in the ground we walked on, forests of icicles hung from the boulders. Rising up above 600m we walked over a frozen Loch Eas Domhain and made for the summit of Creag Ruadh. Signs of frantic burrowing in the snow - a hare looking for its burrow or a fox digging out a vole or something similar? A craggy final summit peak, white and blue all around, we dropped down south, I managed my first bum-slide of the season.

Icicles
ImageDSC02121 by Al, on Flickr

Lawers hills from Creag Dhubh
ImageDSC02124 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Ruadh
ImageDSC02126 by Al, on Flickr

Snow-dunes
ImageDSC02129 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Ruadh
ImageDSC02131 by Al, on Flickr

Summit
ImageDSC02132 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC02133 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC02136 by Al, on Flickr

We cantered over the snowy slopes making for the track. Once there we had an easy time on the return leg, with one half-frozen river crossing to negotiate. Back at the car the sun was setting, illuminating Loch Earn wintry russet. Drove down through Stirling to Woods Caravan Site in Tillicoultry where we managed to get in despite turning up after closing time (a problem when there's a barrier blocking access) and set up the tent, hammering the pegs into ground the consistency of concrete. Another cold night was in prospect, but not quite to the same scale as the previous one.

ImageDSC02138 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC02144 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC02147 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Earn
ImageDSC02148 by Al, on Flickr

Ochils, Saturday morning
ImageDSC02151 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC02153 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:214   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:359   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Perfect winter's day in Glen Tarken

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:45 pm

As you say: ... a fine day to be out. (rather an understatement).

Fortunately I'm not the envious type... :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Oh lovely what a day you had. Minus 10 brrr, but that campsite sounds really lovely, just bookmarked the link for it for further adventures :-)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:25
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Oh lovely what a day you had. Minus 10 brrr, but that campsite sounds really lovely, just bookmarked the link for it for further adventures :-)

Aye, I like Comrie Croft. Still, I'd rather have been up in Assynt in such weather like your good self
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:214   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:359   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes Glen Tarken is a great little area and the ascent of Creag Each by Meall Reamhar is much easier even if a bit longer. I normally climb the nice grass slopes a couple of hundred metres South of the fence line. But Sims? what next? Do you collect "empty squares" as well :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland