walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Loinne - sunrise and sunset

Beinn Loinne - sunrise and sunset

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Route description: Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Loinne

Date walked: 26/11/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.8 km

Ascent: 601m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a November. Only last week we were trudging up Sail Mhor in knee deep snow. Can't believe how quickly it melted! Only a few days, and most hills have only but a few patches left and temperature has gone from -9 to +9*C...
On Saturday we visited the city of Inverness for the necessary Christmas shopping spree. It was so nice and warm I walked around with my coat unzipped. Still hated the experience - the town center was mad with crowds of loud shoppers... Next time I'll buy my Xmass gifts on Amazon :lol: :lol: :lol:
After swimming in noisy crowd, we craved a different kind of experience, some silence and solitude, a cup of tea on a quiet hill summit... So Sunday morning saw us driving west to Glen Shiel area :D Our plan was to climb Beinn Loinne and hopefully enjoy the excellent views from this Corbett.
We have already climbed this hill - here is my 2012 report - but due to cloud we didn't see any summit panos. This is a perfect little mountain for a wintry adventure, shame only that winter decided to pack up and leave for the time being :lol:

We took the usual approach to Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie via the old Tomdoun road, this is a bit of a trudge but the tarmac surface allows for fast walking. The final climb from the high col was wet ("splodgathon" Kevin said) but easy enough:

Track_BEINN LOINNE 27-11-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived quite early and the sun has just awaken above the high tops of Kintail...
Ready for the exercise, South Glen Shiel Ridge behind me:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 005.JPG

"Our" mountain was still asleep in a duvet of cloud, but other tops were clearing already and we were confident
that the clag should burn off:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 010.JPG

As we started the easy part of the climb, we admired the excellent views across Loch Cluanie to the north side of the glen, where Am Bathach and Sgurr an Fhuarail took the center stage:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 030.JPG

A'Chralaig with "crawling cloud"around the ridge:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 032.JPG

Sunrise over Loch Cluanie:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 038.JPG

It was a great feeling to escape the noise of the city, we haven't seen anybody so far (no other cars in the car park). Yes, of course there was some traffic on the A87 but it was so far away that it could be ignored.
The morning panorama:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 039.JPG

Reaching the high col between Loinne and Creag a'Mhaim didn't take us long and when we got there, the sun was stronger, more blue sky showed up and the mountain summits were definitely clearing. I was all happy - good views were only a short climb away :D
Wakey wakey, mountains!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 061.JPG

The "splodgathon" part of the walk. The true summit of Beinn Loinne is to the right, we climbed to the wee top to the left first, there is no obvious path so the exact line of ascent makes little difference:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 067.JPG

We got gaitered up (is that proper English???) and left the comfortable track. It wasn't as wet as I feared, with the amount of snow that must have melted here recently I expected mud bathing :lol: As we walked, we noticed the cloud touching the summit was dispersing. We didn't push it too quickly, let's give the hill time to clear!
In the meantime, we stopped for a photo session on the wee western top (540m). Even from here, views across the loch were already amazing...
We spent some time talking about Am Bathach/Ciste Dhubh route, and concluded it was our favourite ridge in this area. Not the Sisters, not SGS, but these two shy hills. They have already gifted us with a splendid winter adventure (was it in 2013?) and we will surely be back for more.
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 071.JPG

The Brothers ridge. The partly clouded peak to the right in the background must be Beinn Fhada.
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 077.JPG

A panoramic photo:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 083.JPG

Creag a'Mhaim still cloudy but this was to change soon. Loch Quoich Twins to the left:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 095.JPG

Brothers and Sisters:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 097.JPG

Only from higher ground we could appreciate the details of Ciste Dhubh/Am Bathach ridge:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 098.JPG

I always felt a bit sorry for poor Beinn loinne, such a fine viewpoint but still overlooked and neglected, being surrounded by so many Munros. But this wee outlier of SGS is really worth the day, especially when weather is fine and the sun is shining... It's a hill to climb with a smile!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 112.JPG

On the wide, flat summit area we spent a lot of time taking photos from different vantage points. The cloud was all gone now and we enjoyed a bright, sunny day.
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 125.JPG

It was great to climb this hill in better conditions for a change. It was a good place to play "hillspotting". To the south, we spotted Loch Lochy Munros and Ben Tee:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 123.JPG

Also the closer neighbours, Loch Quoich Munros:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 118.JPG

Gairich and other peaks around Loch Arkaing:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 144.JPG

Ben Nevis was also very prominent on the southern horizon:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 176.JPG

No wonder Panther was ready to meaow!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 126.JPG

View east is maybe the least interesting, with the Meall Dubh wind farm right in the middle of the photo :roll:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 133.JPG

The true summit is marked with a trig point and not much more :wink: There was very little snow even here, especially compare to the previous weekend! A repeat hill again but we don't mind repeats as long as they come with the benefit of good weather and wide panoramas!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 148.JPG

Kevin and Lucy on the summit - she climbed her 32nd Corbett!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 156.JPG

A happy sheep :lol: :lol: :lol:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 153.JPG

To the north, A'Chralaig and Sgurr nan Conbhairean are the most prominent features in a long ridge...
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 132.JPG

...but our eyes always returned to the Black Chest... Summit in cloud for a short while:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 161.JPG

Brothers and Sisters again:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 163.JPG

We found a flat rock to sit on and had our well deserved picnic, with hot tea and cookies, stretched our legs and watched the sun moving west :D It almost felt like spring at this very moment, for a few minutes I thought it was mid-March. Of course, something inside me is crying out for more winter conditions (my inner snow leopard I bet!) but it was good to enjoy a warmer spell of sunny weather for a change.
On the way down we took a slightly different line of descent, skipping the 540m top, but there was no chance to avoid the "splodgathon" :lol:
Find me a dry spot...
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 193.JPG

At least, we still had the views and some amazing snaps were taken, a few of those below.
Nevis:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 190.JPG

Sisters of No Mercy:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 198.JPG

The Black Chest:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 199.JPG

When we returned to the tarmac, we were welcome by a small herd of deer:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 213.JPG

Hello and Merry Christmas, people! just don't shoot at us please! We are related to Rudolph!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 237.JPG

Of course this is a stalking estate and deer must be fed in winter, cause they were not afraid of us in the slightest, didn't even bother walking away too far!
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 245.JPG

We walked back to Cluanie in the fading light, the sun setting slowly behind the peaks of Kintail, our hearts full of joy and happiness after a well spent day.
Cluanie sunset:
2016-11-27 beinn loinne 241.JPG

It was a weird November. It presented us with weather covering all four seasons of the year :lol: but amongst all those crazy changes we climbed a few awesome hills and we didn't allow the late autumn depression to take over. Now, fingers crossed for white Christmass and some more decent conditions to enjoy the Hogmany on the hills!
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Beinn Loinne - sunrise and sunset

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:03 pm

That looks a fine walk BP, also loving that photo of the brothers and sisters in the late afternoon light. Awesome :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Superb report BP! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:03 am

Superb day for it - nice colours in your photos. Was up this hill fairly recently - does make for a nice trip.....(though did find it easier taking the bike up to the high point on the track :shock: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for comments... Nice hill this one and we really wanted to see views, so glad we managed the second time :D

Up on the high ground again tomorrow (good weather coming)!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby martin.h » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Lovely photo's BP, how I wish we lived closer to the Highlands to be able to experience the majesty of the mountains in the winter months :D
Cheers :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland