walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Incredible Evening and Sunset from Beinn Damh

An Incredible Evening and Sunset from Beinn Damh

Postby trickeyja » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:20 am

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 22/07/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 903m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the next walk report from my 25-day cycle tour of England and Scotland. (See post history for earlier walks on Rum, Mull and Arran).

Upon reaching the village of Torridon, I stocked up on food and pitched my tent. Having asked the advice of a local, I cycled to the bottom of Beinn Damh in order to climb it. I had been told the ascent would be a manageable evening’s hike, and that should I be up there after sunset, there would be a good track which I could easily follow down. The mountain, a few metres short of being a munro involved a steady climb through woodland and then up onto the summit ridge. A worthwhile walk brought excellent views over neighbouring peaks, towards Skye and onto the many lochs nearby. The sunset was absolutely magnificent.

Liathach from Beinn Damh

The craggy slopes of Beinn Damh

Loch Damh from Beinn Damh

Views from Beinn Damh

Moonlit view - otherworldly

The Sunset

Descending after sunset was fine, and there was enough ambient light to see the path clearly. When I got back, I retreated to my tent in order to grab what sleep I could before climbing mighty Liathach, “the grey one”, the next day.

This was one of the best days of my cycle tour and was a fantastic evening's walk after having cycled over the Bealach na Ba earlier that day in stunning weather.
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Re: An Incredible Evening and Sunset from Beinn Damh

Postby graeme84 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:31 am

Brilliant pics. ive just got back from a tour of scotland too and did several high camps. Beinn Damh was on my list but the weather was awful so thanks for showing me what i missed out on :( :lol:
graeme84

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby Alastair S » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 am

Great photos :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Great pics - I enjoy reports that remind me of places I know but need to get to know much much better
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby gaffr » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 am

The first of the 'views from Ben Damh' images is a fine look towards Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh Stac.....you have most certainly had a fine summer's tour on your bike.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 pm

Yeah you look to have had some really good weather to say you were in Scotland for so long - or maybe that's where I'm going wrong - I need to spend 25 days up there instead of about 7 - 10! I get so many claggy days where I see nowt :( Your photos again are superb! :D
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:08 am

Beautiful photos. Still haven't had a sunset like that from any hills that far west. :D

Impressed that you did that after cycling the Ba - some effort there! :shock:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:00 pm

:clap: Smashing pics - looks like a great walk brilliantly captured.

Looking forward to going back 8)
kinley

Postby trickeyja » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the comments and feedback :D

mountain coward wrote:Yeah you look to have had some really good weather to say you were in Scotland for so long - or maybe that's where I'm going wrong - I need to spend 25 days up there instead of about 7 - 10! I get so many claggy days where I see nowt :( Your photos again are superb! :D

I know - from my pictures it looks like I had fantastic weather on my tour but in reality it was pretty mixed. When the weather was good I did what I could to make the most of it. I generally went walking during the spells of good weather so my photos are disproportionately sunny! :lol:
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland