walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tarmachan

Tarmachan

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 04/12/2016

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quick Film -

Tarmachan Ridge

Being relatively close to home The Tarmachan Ridge is nice and easy to reach and the car park is at 450meters! . Hadn’t been up for a while, so when the forecast suggested blue skies and a chance of an inversion I decided to head for Tarmachan. The plan was to get near the summit for sunrise and in a perfect world I’d have enjoyed a summit sunrise over a sea of clouds – didn’t happen tho!! The clag was in from the start and I reached a cold, windy and claggy summit about 20minutes after sunrise – ho hum.
I decided to head along the ridge and drop off just beyond Meall Garbh, however just as I was approaching the “bad step” the weather cleared and I was standing above the clouds. I turned on my heels and returned to Meall Garbh, the extra height giving great views and a fantastic Brocken Spectre! With the weather clearing I found myself heading back to Meall nan Tarmachan to get some summit views! However it wasn’t to be as the clag returned and the views disappeared!
All in all though it was worth it for the 20minutes on Meall Garbh where the views were grand!

A great morning adventure and great to meet some familiar Walkhighland faces up there 

ImageTarmachan ridge by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageTarmachan Spectre by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageRIDGE by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Tarmachan

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 am

You got better views than we did! The early bird and all that... :lol: still, a fantastic and very memorable day. Lovely to meet you! :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Jaxter wrote:You got better views than we did! The early bird and all that... :lol: still, a fantastic and very memorable day. Lovely to meet you! :D

Nice to meet you too Jaxter - look forward to your report :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Nice - rather atmospheric too :thumbup: Have never been right along the ridge but should do some time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland