walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Banachdich

Sgurr na Banachdich

Postby IainG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Route description: Sgurr na Banachdich

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr na Banachdich

Date walked: 08/02/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first post on Walkhighlands. I've 'lurked' a while but decided to register and make a contribution as I've used the routes on the site before. Time to put something back in!

Following the route for Sgurr na Banachdich on the Cuillin of Skye on the 1st Feb 2009.

We set up the night before in the campervan, parking up next to Glenbrittle YH. The YH was closed for the season and it seemed we had the Cuillin to ourselves. The first time we'd ever been the only vehicle parked up there. Lovely and quiet!

We were up early the next morning to set off. The hills looked fine silhouetted against the clear sky.

It was getting even better as we headed into Coire an Ghreadaidh.

We cut up into Coir an Eich, the views back towards Glenbrittle.

Coir an Eich is a steep scree route, with An Dailaid on the left.

At the head of the corrie, the view opened up to show Sgurr a' Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh.

Looking back down the ridge which was on our right on the way up, towards Sgurr nan Ghobhar.

The peak of Sgurr Thormaid which thankfully, we didn't have to cross!

Some light scrambling took us onto some hard frozen snow onto the narrow summit ridge. The weather was stunning.

Looking north along the ridge from the summit.

The views from this hill are well worth the effort, especially in these conditions.

A brilliant walk. Even on the return, I couldn't help but take a few more photos!

A great day in the Black Cuillin!!

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Sgurr na Banachdich

Postby bigbertie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:58 pm

IainG - fantastic pics on a fantastic day. If all your posts live up to this standard they will be impressive indeed.

I used to think there were relatively few brilliant winter weather days in the Highlands, but reading this site recently there seem to be more than I realised. I must get up there more often. cheers bigbertie
bigbertie

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Stunning pictures IainG looks like you had perfect weather :)
cjwaugh

Munros:227   Corbetts:16
Grahams:4   Donalds:2

Postby IainG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks for the comments.

It was a stunner of a day. The proverbial 'weather window' in Skye. Each day either side was grim and this is the kind of weather a long trip is paid back. :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby doogz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Hello Iain g welcome to walkhighlands ...a fantastic report on your day in skye ..as you will see with my report on Beinn fhada i could see you guys on skye when we made the plateau up to the summit...

am thinking of doing some skye hills in may or june ...never been ...looking forward if the weather was as good as your day..so fingers crossed

Doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Truly stunning pics - I especially love the one with you? on the summit looking into sun - a difficult shot to expose properly I think. The one below it of Sgurr Thormaid and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh is a cracker too 8)

What amazes me is that although you met ice-hard snow - it was fairly near the top. I don't think you could have even got a car over the hill to Glen Brittle yesterday for the snow/ice.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby squirrel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 am

Wow awesome pics... :D
...it's made me even more determined to get to the Cuillin on a really good weather day...
squirrel

Postby Nige R » Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Superb photos, I did Banachdich May 82 in full snow conditions and with similar weather to your day, I wish they had digital cameras back then as I have lost touch with the guys I went with and they had the cameras, have tried uploading some of my shots from recent trips but am struggling, must look into it, congrats again on excellent post :D
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland