walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…


Postby Jaxter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:27 am

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 13/11/2016

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 397m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Total lethargy after a draining week coupled with a terrible forecast made me think twice about more ambitious plans for the weekend. But I was under orders to get out on the hills each weekend for knee recovery. Not fancying a big drive for a day in the clag and rain I looked for options closer to home, settling on the wee hill Miekle Bin in the Campsies :D

I was in no hurry to leave my bed and pottered around making breakfast and getting gear ready before finally getting in the car and heading up the road. Although dry in Glasgow I very quickly encountered rain and more rain :shock: Arriving at the very busy car park at the end on the Carron Valley reservoir, I slotted my wee car into a space and booted up. Although it was very overcast, surprisingly it wasn’t actually raining so off I went.

Heading along the forest track I stopped for a few photos along the reservoir – although the cloud was down it was quite atmospheric.

Image

However, before I had gone 10 minutes down the track it started to rain. Hoping it wouldn't come to anything I persevered for a bit longer but sadly it was getting heavier. Still believing it wouldn't last, and trusting the water resistance of my trousers to keep out a shower, I added my jacket and continued.

Although just a track through a forest it was relaxing to be out, despite the weather, and I was glad that I'd made the effort :thumbup:

Finally reaching the footpath up Miekle Bin itself, I was out of the relatively sheltered forest and the full force of the wind hit me. I'm sure on a clear day it would have been a lovely view but I could see only a few metres ahead of me :shock:

Image

Onwards, I passed a few people coming back down who said that it got worse further up. "Excellent," I replied and continued up with a slightly maniacal grin :D They weren't kidding - when I'd squelched my way to the top I was greeted by more rain and wind but no views. I was also regretting my laziness as my legs were soaked. I picked up some rubbish and took a few photos but it was not a day for enjoying the summit.

Image

Image

I have a big dislike of out-and-back walks, of which this is generally one, so when looking at the map the night before I devised a plan. I followed the "path" which continued over the summit and it petered out completely just before some more forest....

Image

At this point I bashed my way into the trees and discovered that there was something of a route through here that didn't involve too much crawling through the undergrowth :lol:

Image

Breaking out the other side I had a quick map check and realised that I had come out a little further east than I had wanted to. Some real off-roading was required here but I managed to vaguely follow a line of fence posts to the stream which was crossed easily onto the beginnings of a track.

From here it was just a case of following the track back to the car park, but I deliberately took the longer way round to take me along the shores of the reservoir before eventually rejoining the outward track, picking up more litter (another of the same bottle I'd picked up at the top... grr :thumbdown: ) and returning to the car.

Image

Image

Fortunately I had a pair of shorts in the car so, in a very dignified manner, I got changed at the side of the road before heading home. It was still raining :lol:
Last edited by Jaxter on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jaxter
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1374
Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Emmanuelle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 pm

I think I was up on the same day as you! A late start too after much dithering in my kitchen and a late decision. The rain was indeed as you describe - ceaseless - and it was remarkably gusty on the summit path. It was odd hearing planes coming in to land at Glasgow airport without seeing them at all.
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 142
Munros:282   Corbetts:43
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: May 1, 2013

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby denfinella » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 am

Hmm, I've seen that hill in better conditions to say the least :lol:

When I went up it there was a tree all decked out in Christmas decorations (i.e. tinsel, baubles, the works!). One of the lone trees on the open path to the summit. Did you see it?
User avatar
denfinella
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1124
Munros:67   Corbetts:34
Grahams:24   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45
Joined: Mar 19, 2012
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Challenging conditions 8)
A good few years ago we nearly cycled up to the top when mountain biking here - can also remember a bit of carrying through the trees - must go back some time (but may be in better weather :wink: ) - cheers :)
User avatar
rockhopper
 
Posts: 6680
Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19
Joined: May 31, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Sgurr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 pm

What a foul day, well done for persevering. More people need to go off piste into the forest, as this guy has still not been found. The"missing" poster was still out when I went up shortly after

http://www.tomrobbmemorialtrailrace.com/information
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4450
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Jaxter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Emmanuelle wrote:I think I was up on the same day as you! A late start too after much dithering in my kitchen and a late decision. The rain was indeed as you describe - ceaseless - and it was remarkably gusty on the summit path. It was odd hearing planes coming in to land at Glasgow airport without seeing them at all.

Aye it was mingin wasn't it! Still, better than staying indoors :D



denfinella wrote:Hmm, I've seen that hill in better conditions to say the least :lol:

When I went up it there was a tree all decked out in Christmas decorations (i.e. tinsel, baubles, the works!). One of the lone trees on the open path to the summit. Did you see it?

I did! I wanted to get a picture but it was too horrible to get the camera out :lol:



rockhopper wrote:Challenging conditions 8)
A good few years ago we nearly cycled up to the top when mountain biking here - can also remember a bit of carrying through the trees - must go back some time (but may be in better weather :wink: ) - cheers :)

Oooh hardcore! Although mebbe it was a bit less squishy underfoot when you were there :lol:



Sgurr wrote:What a foul day, well done for persevering. More people need to go off piste into the forest, as this guy has still not been found. The"missing" poster was still out when I went up shortly after

http://www.tomrobbmemorialtrailrace.com/information

Yikes.... :shock: :shock:
User avatar
Jaxter
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1374
Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Andymac75 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:49 pm

You're going to run out of hills to climb Jaxter :shock:

We are going to need another Ice Age!

:)
Andymac75
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Feb 23, 2016

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby kevsbald » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:02 pm

You should get over and do Earls seat, good wee pad from Dumgoyne.
User avatar
kevsbald
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 2176
Munros:264   Corbetts:119
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   
Joined: Jan 15, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Jaxter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am

Andymac75 wrote:You're going to run out of hills to climb Jaxter :shock:

We are going to need another Ice Age!

:)

I'll just keep climbing all the good ones :D move to Torridon and become a hermit....Liathach before breakfast every morning.... :lol:




kevsbald wrote:You should get over and do Earls seat, good wee pad from Dumgoyne.

I did that one ages ago, great wee hill! Keep meaning to go back there as the weather was pretty yucky :lol:
User avatar
Jaxter
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1374
Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby PeteR » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 pm

It's not just me that took the "detour" through the trees then :lol: I ended up making this quite a circuit one winter, taking a way marked track to the main road (once I'd escaped the trees) and then walking alongside the resevoir back to my car. Great little hill and a shame you didn't really see any of it.
User avatar
PeteR
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 2060
Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:177   Hewitts:3
Islands:9
Joined: Jan 27, 2010
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Jaxter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

PeteR wrote:It's not just me that took the "detour" through the trees then :lol: I ended up making this quite a circuit one winter, taking a way marked track to the main road (once I'd escaped the trees) and then walking alongside the resevoir back to my car. Great little hill and a shame you didn't really see any of it.

Aye made it much more interesting eh!! Looks like we took the same route...great minds eh! :wink: Hey ho it's nice and close to home so can pop back sometime :D
User avatar
Jaxter
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1374
Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Glasgow

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Jaxter wrote:....I'll just keep climbing all the good ones :D move to Torridon and become a hermit....Liathach before breakfast every morning.... :lol:



Absolutely! The mountains with big character are very hard to tire if. For me Skye is Nr 1, closely followed by Torridon. But I've been up my best "local" hill - Tryfan - at least 50 times, and I still love it. A local mountain guide told me it was also his favourite mountain, and he's done big stuff all round the globe.

We are so fortunate a) to know what we like; and b) to be so (relatively) close to it.

AK
User avatar
Alteknacker
Scrambler
 
Posts: 3029
Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   
Joined: May 25, 2013
Location: Effete South (of WIgan, anyway)

Re: Rubbish weather Bins bigger plans…

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am

Alteknacker wrote:
Jaxter wrote:....I'll just keep climbing all the good ones :D move to Torridon and become a hermit....Liathach before breakfast every morning.... :lol:



Absolutely! The mountains with big character are very hard to tire if. For me Skye is Nr 1, closely followed by Torridon. But I've been up my best "local" hill - Tryfan - at least 50 times, and I still love it. A local mountain guide told me it was also his favourite mountain, and he's done big stuff all round the globe.

We are so fortunate a) to know what we like; and b) to be so (relatively) close to it.

AK

Aye you're so right : :D :D

I'd go to Torridon every week if it wasn't 4 hours away. And the weather was good...I suppose variety is good too :lol: but I guess everyone has their favourites for whatever reason :wink:
User avatar
Jaxter
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1374
Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:63   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:31
Joined: Aug 8, 2011
Location: Glasgow

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ness64 and 55 guests