walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Above the clouds

Above the clouds

Postby kfm86 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:42 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 04/12/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1200m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2016-12-04 152259.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was not my first walk, but I had such a great day I thought I'd make it my first walk report.

I arrived in Kinlochleven shortly before sunrise. I parked in the car park near the Co Op rather than the one next to St Paul's church, mainly because I didn't fully appreciate they weren't the same car park. As it turned out, this meant that I had to walk over the bridge, past the Ice Factor. A very friendly dog who had been hanging out just outside the Ice Factor came running over to say hello, with no humans in sight. After following him around the village for a while, I managed to catch him but there was no tag. To cut a long story short, I eventually left the dog in the care of the Ice Factor staff. As far as I'm aware, he had a great day climbing. If anyone from the Ice Factor is reading this, thanks very much!

Anyway, I eventually set off toward the mountains at about 9. I only remembered to start up my GPS when I was out of the village, thanks to the dog-based excitement. As I gained height, I made good progress, but the cloud was looking like it was firmly entrenched and not moving anywhere fast.

The view back to Loch Leven:
1.jpg

The view south to the bookle:
2.jpg

Telling myself that the MWIS is never wrong, onwards I marched, to arrive at Loch Eilde Mor shortly before 11. The cloud had yet to lift so it made for some dramatic photos:
3.jpg

4.jpg

I walked above Loch Eilde Mor, carefully picking my way across a couple of ice patches, and turned left to make the final ascent up to the ridgeline:

5.jpg

6.jpg

Finally reaching the ridgeline, I was still firmly in the cloud. Oh well, this was not the first time this had happened. Still a nice day out, I thought.
Wee cairn at the minor summit:
7.jpg

I debated whether or not to bother going to Binnein Mor. I eventually decided to go for it, because I'd be annoyed with myself if I didn't, even without any views. However, as I made my way along the ridge, the cloud seemed to get that little bit less grey, and I tried to suppress the faint tingle of hope that it might lift; these thoughts usually lead to disappointment. But this time, about 20 paces away from the summit, I suddenly realised that I was emerging from the cloud, to a glorious view across to the few other peaks emerging from the clag. Not only that, but a brocken spectre that was incredibly intense and pretty much never left me the entire time I was at the summit. After putting the dog's coat on, I stayed for about 20 minutes, taking many many photos and videos, and eating my lunch to the best scenery I've ever witnessed.
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.gif

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

After I had eaten something, I eventually had to admit that it was bloody freezing so best to make a move and warm up a bit. The dog was also complaining, despite her fashionable attire. So we headed back to the minor summit, and then along the ridge and up to Na Gruagaichean. This time, I remained firmly in the cloud, but I couldn't care less. Heading along the ridge over Na Gruagaichean, I eventually started to come down out of the cloud. The walk description suggests a "rough, pathless descent" and this was certainly true. About halfway through this ordeal I looked back to the top of the ridge to see that the cloud had finally started breaking up:
20.jpg

As I neared Kinlochleven, the long winter sunset started to show, giving a great display along Loch Leven:
21.jpg

I got back to the car about 3:30, extremely satisfied. I hadn't seen another person the whole time on the hills. It felt like I had been in another world.
kfm86
Mountain Walker

Munros:146   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:5

Re: Above the clouds

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Nice first report :thumbup: Good to see that conditions improved when you got above the inversion - always great when this happens - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Coop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Had 2 great days in this fantastic area and the views walks are superb. If you'd have carried on over to the next top past na gruagaichean and down to the beallach there's a stalkers path leading most of the way down. ( someone pointed this out to me on binnein mor)
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

Brilliant pictures. What a cracking day. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 am

Great report and loved your pictures and your dog in his smart red coat :D Our first trip up the Mamores last month, aren't they just wonderful!
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland