walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn-mon-Earn test of new walking shoes

Cairn-mon-Earn test of new walking shoes

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 11/12/2016

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 178m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I needed to try my new walking shoes, so headed out to the nearest Marilyn that I hadn't done, which I can see it from my daughter's house in Culter.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Turned off just after the highest part of the Slug pass & parked up beside another car, just before the gate to the access track for the masts on top.

Cairn mon Earn.jpg
The turn-off to the car park at the bottom of the CmE track

Donned my new shoes and headed off along the track. After about a Km, a mature couple approach down the track, having been out to exercise their beautiful big German Shepherd ( dog).
As we passed I greeted the couple, at which point the dog decided I was the enemy and lunged at me. Fortunately the man had put him on his lead and was braced in anticipation. The lady apologised and confessed that the dog was very protective, at which point I admitted that I was probably not very good eating - even for a dog !
The track got a wee bit rougher as it turned round the NE side of the hill for want of a few transvers culverts to take the water off.

Track in need of culverts.jpg
Eroded track in need of some culverts

As I turned the corner for the final section to the top, I got a grand view of Morven due to some clear felling.

Morven from CME track.jpg
Morven from CmE track

I was also afforded a view back down towards Culter, so waved to my daughter and grandson, but couldn't see them waving back !

Looking towards Culter.jpg
Lookin back towards Culter

As I breasted the brow o the hill, I was greeted by a plethora of masts.
You wonder why all these masts couldn't be consolidated into a single tower with one building at the bottom to house the terminal equipment.

A plethora of radio masts.jpg
A plethora of Radio masts

Noticed that one building had a PV array on it's roof to save the planet.
Weaved through the masts to get to the trig point, then wandered over to the cairn wi a braw chunky seat next to it.

Durris mast from CME Trig Pt.jpg
Durris mast from the trig pt

Cairn of CME towards Durris mast.jpg
The cairn & workies seat on Cairn mon Earn

Soaked in the view for a wee bit then decided to explore the short way down via the fire-break in the forest for the power lines bringing the electricity supply to the radio/TV/phone masts.

Path to top of firebreak.jpg
Path from Trig pt to top of forestry firebreak

Dusted off my compass to make sure that the track headed in the right direction, then set off down. Once into the fire-break, its an easy walk down to the road. The bikers have fashioned

Path down firebreak.jpg
Path down the firebreak back to start

an easy to follow path down. At the bottom, you have the option of dropping off onto the Slug road ( and being run over) or taking the slightly boggy option to the left which crosses a wee burn and exits on the track about 50m from the car park.

Sloppy engineering.jpg
Sloppy engireering !

Shoes need a bit more breaking in on a longer walk, but that'll do for a start. Not too keen on the "arch support" as I find it a bit irritating. Used to making my foot muscles work.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland