walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kerloch

Kerloch

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Kerloch

Date walked: 16/12/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day started well. On my way back from the post office I spotted a couple of roe deer that had been stranded on my side of the road before the traffic started to build. When they saw me, they took fright and dashed across Westhill drive into the sanctuary of Denman Park, startling a couple of motorists on the way !
Looking south, the sky looked bright, so Kerloch was selected for today's stroll. GordonC was DIY-ing at BOD, so it was a solo effort today. ( what can you expect on 5min notice ! )
Drove round by Banchory & Strachan to attack Kerloch from the North.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked in the spot W of the bridge as suggested by previous Walkhighlanders. In fact there's a fair parking area, just before the cattle grid entrance to the track, that wouldn't obstruct the trucks using the gravel pit further up the track.

Wee car park space  W of Bridge.jpg
Wee car park space W of Bridge

The Kerloch track entrance.jpg
Kerloch track entrance

Striding up the first bit of the track, I was surprised to see a model aircraft scooting around. A couple of guys were standing in the corner of a groomed grass field - one flying a battery powered plane and the other fiddling with a remote control for his plane on the ground. Apparently this is the local model aircraft club's home ground - pretty natty !

Aeromodellers.jpg
The Aeromodellers

As I headed off up the track, the second aircraft took off and flew over me. Tried to take pics, but the aircraft were just a dots in the sky.
Passed a gravel pit being worked by a digger and grader. This probably accounted for the fine track surface, which continued up to where the track branches off up through the forest to Kerloch summit.
Passed through a couple of gates then through the first bit of forestry. It was a bit eery, as there was no wildlife and not even birds, so very quiet. As one exits from the first bit of forestry, a shack comes into view - a bit like a hill -billy erection in the US Appalachians. Pretty rundown and seeminly not used, but still locked. A wee chair with a label on it still survived outside.

The Shack.jpg
The old Shack

Mally's high seat.jpg
Mally's High Seat

Just beyong the hut, the track for Kerloch branches off to the right and the surface becomes pretty roch. Unless you are an avid MTB-er, I'd leave your bike here. There's a steel barrier across the track that continues SE - about 50m futher on that one could padlock ones bike to. Someone had been up to the top on a Fat-Tyred MTB or a scrambler motor bike.
The walk up through the forest on this rough ( in places ) track is a wee bit steeper further up and zig zags until it exits the forest.

The track after the fork.jpg
The rough track after the fork

There's one more zig above the treeline, then the track continues up until a path strikes out to the right from the track which takes you to the the summit cairn & trig point, with a wee howff behind. The hill above the trees was now shrouded in cloud, so I didn't get any views.

Summit Cairn & Trig Pt.jpg
Kerloch summit cairn & Trig Pt

Colby Howff - maybe.jpg
Colby Howff - maybe

I'd just been reading about Colby's Camps in an old issue of the SMC Journal, so every howff will be a Colby now !
Colby and his troops survey'd many of the tops during the triangulation project by the OS in the 19th Century. They built wee howffs near the tops to shelter in while the survey work was carried out and the Trig columns constructed. Some cheils !
Cowered in the howff out of the chilly breeze that was bringing the cloud & sent my " I'm still alive " text.
Decided to abandon returning by Little Kerloch and the forestry track on the other side of the glen, so retraced my steps, only varying the route at the top Zig-Zag, where a shortcut eliminated the bend in the track.

By the time I got down, the aeromodellers had gone, so continued back to the car.
The forecast rain started just past Banchory.
One positive from having a claggy top, was that I didn't have to look at the industrial Fannery to the south !
Last edited by Gordon Ballantyne on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Kerloch

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:44 am

Ideal for a short winter wander especially so close to home - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Re: Kerloch

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:25 pm

rockhopper wrote:Ideal for a short winter wander especially so close to home - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper - I'm trying to avoid the usual painful rusty start to the summer by bagging a few marilyns during the winter to keep the joints moving !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland