walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sick Kid enters MarHoF despite Storm Barbara

Sick Kid enters MarHoF despite Storm Barbara

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhanaich, Beinn Chaorach

Date walked: 23/12/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 972m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Therre have been many things Allison has said she's not doing. Munro Tops, Grahams, Simms and most definately not doing bloody Marilyns :lol: Despite these protestations, here we were going out on a stormy Friday to bag 2 more Grahams/Marilyns that would bring her tally to 600 and allow entry to the exaulted Marilyn Hall of Fame (lower division). I'd chosen these hills as they were close to home and would easily fit into a short hill day. Although the forecast was for heavy rain and 70mph winds we thought it would be good to get out and about.

mhanaich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off around 8, driving the few miles to the A817 Glen Fruin road. We parked just off the roadside, tried to get kitted out as far as possible in the car rather than exposing ourselves any earlier than necessary to the elements. Then it was time to set off out into the gale. We walked along the road til we'd crossed the river then headed up The Strone, skirting the edge of the firing range although there was no red flag up today, for some reason :wink: We picked up an ATV track and ascended easily, the wind pushing us forward in a generally helpful manner. However, I'd not found my heavy duty waterproof trousers in the car and left my better lightweight ones at home, so was wearing my least favourite and least effective pair...I could feel the water penetrating behind my knees and before too long trickling down into my boots. Lovely.

The Strone ahead
ImageP1140572 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1140574 by Al, on Flickr

We continued uphill, making good time and reaching Maol an Fheidh, from where we dropped a little to Bealach an t-Saic and from there made the final spurt to the top of Beinn a'Mhanaich. Retracing our steps for a short way we met with the fence and followed it SE along the course of a very swollen burn. Descending to the bealach between the hills we paused for an early lunch. I'd packed the storm shelter which gave us respite from the rain although the wind whipped and cracked at the plastic material and made eating crisps and drinking coffee a little challenging. I was irritated to find my GPS playing up, possibly damp.

ImageP1140576 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Mhanaich
ImageP1140577 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1140578 by Al, on Flickr

Lunch stop
ImageP1140580 by Al, on Flickr

From here we continued to follow the fence line up Beinn Chaorach - steep in places, the sodden grass slippy underfoot. There was re-ascent of around 350m, the gradient leveling out after we made the 667m point. Fortunately the rain stopped and the clag lifted, giving some views up to Loch Lomond. The wind remained strong, at times almost lifting me off my feet. It was fun to lean at a 45 degree angle and be held up by it. We continued on to the trig point at the summit, Allison celebrating achieving something she claims no interest in. Will she send off her application to join MarHoF?

ImageP1140581 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1140582 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Loch Lomond
ImageP1140584 by Al, on Flickr

2 Simms for another day
ImageP1140586 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1140587 by Al, on Flickr

600th Marilyn
ImageP1140588 by Al, on Flickr

I had intended that we'd include a couple of Simms to the east of Beinn Tharsuinn, but as my boots were full of cold water and the rain seemed to be returning they were sensibly left for another day. We descended SW off Tharsuinn, with a few bumslides on the wet grass. I could see the car and made for that.

Nice hills and I suspect good views on a day that you can actually see anything. But quite nice to get out in a challenging day (apart from the wet legs and feet).
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Sick Kid enters MarHoF despite Storm Barbara

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Lordy Weaselmaster

Out in that awful weather? Is your head ok? :wink:

That said, I'm golfing tomorrow ! I'd risk hypothermia over Perth High St :)
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Congratulations Allison :clap: The hills around here make for a nice wander - although was fortunate to have "slightly" better conditions than you did :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby roscoT » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Nice one, a great report. And well done Allison! :clap:

You are mental going out in these conditions though! I'll remember this next time I get caught in a squall :)
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:01 pm

What a pair you two are - I was reluctant to venture outside the front door, let alone up a hill or two :roll:

Look on the bright side, I would imagine Allison will remember her 600th for a few years - many congrats from me :clap: :clap:

Al One question that puzzles me, is how come Allison reached 600 and you haven't even reached three figures :shock:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:
Al One question that puzzles me, is how come Allison reached 600 and you haven't even reached three figures :shock:

Ah - that's a problem with the way WalkHighlands records them. Most Munros, all Corbetts & Grahams are Marilyns - they need to have 150m drop, but the height for a Marilyn is irrelevant (as long as it's 150m high or more). WH lists those Marilyns under 610m as "Subs". I'm currently on 633 Marilyns, having entered the MarHoF in October when we were out doing Meith Bheinn. So now you know :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Many many mazings :shock: I am wildly impressed with your dedication! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland