walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windy day on Stob Binnein

Windy day on Stob Binnein

Postby Bmg99 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 27/12/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 993m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After all the Turkey consumed for Christmas dinner a wee walk was needed and my eldest son also needed to try out his ice axe.
We headed to Benmore Farm with the aim of climbing Stob Binnein and depending how things looked we'd then consider a second hill.

The plan was to head up the track to its head and then strike out for Bealach-eadar dha Bheinn.

The OS Map (Explorer Map 365) shows the track ending at a footbridge over the Benmore Burn, but it carries on a little further. The ground underfoot was very wet but on the whole it was firm enough that you were not sinking down into bog all the time. By taking a diagonal route to the bealach the gradient was not too severe.

Leaving the glen behind.

Youngina, just can't keep up with their old man :wink:

As we approached the bealach we rose above the shelter of the western side of the glen, and while there was not much snow the ground was frozen in places. As we struck out for the summit we found the path and many of the rocks were ice covered which meant it was easier to walk where there was snow.

Nearly there.

There was a large patch of snow hanging onto Creagan Dubha. It had a large crack along its top edge and looked very prone to avalanche.

These rocks, just a couple of minutes from the summit, almost form a gate to the summit cairn.

By now the wind was brutal, so we did not linger long at the summit.

I had originally considered trying to strike out from here to Cruach Ardrain, but given the strong wind we decided to head back the way we'd just came and then head up Ben More. As we descended to bealach the wind further strengthened and looking west there the weather looked to be deteriorating. We decided Ben More would be there another day and duly headed back down to the path we'd started from.

Great day out on the hills, what's to beat it :D
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Re: Windy day on Stob Binnein

Postby Coop » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:33 pm

I remember that huge boulder in the beallach - sheltered there ( cowered there) for 20 minutes as it was raining and a tad windy when I did ben more and Stob Binnien
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Windy day on Stob Binnein

Postby Bmg99 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Coop - We'd a brief shelter there before heading off again. I did Ben More a couple of years avon in March and it was terribly windy then as well!
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland