walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby RMed37 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 02/11/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I first visited this area cycling in to climb Beinn Bhuidhe in April 2016 and returned in August to climb Ben Vane, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain. So, with a Wednesday off work, I decided to come back and climb Ben Vorlich.

I left Edinburgh 7.30ish, parked at Inveruglas visitor centre car park, and headed off at 09.50.

I followed the route past the Hydro station towards Loch Sloy and turned off the road just short of the small cairn marker after forty minutes.
04 - Ben Vane.JPG
Ben Vane

07 - Loch Sloy.JPG
Loch Sloy

09 - A' Chrois & Beinn Narnain.JPG
A'Chrois & Beinn Narnain

Thus began the steep climb which lasted an hour, before reaching the ridge.
13.JPG
Loch Lomond

14.JPG
Loch Sloy

Unfortunately, as I reached the ridge, my views became shrouded in cloud. Until this point, the skies had been clear :(

After a short while, I met a guy who told me he had just witnessed a ‘brocken spectre’ for the fourth time in 25 years. I hadn't heard of this phenomenon until now, so after he explained, I continued on, in the hope that I too might see one, to compensate for the lack of a view today. However, I did not.

22.JPG
Calvin & Trig

I passed the trig point and reached the summit after 2h15m.
30.JPG
Seat at the Summit

The weather remained the same for the walk back, cloudy until off the highest part of the ridge and then great views again.
39.JPG
Loch Arklet

40.JPG
View NE

42 - Back towards summit ridge.JPG
Looking back towards summit

45.JPG

55.JPG
On the descent

59.JPG
Ben Lomond
RMed37
Mountain Walker

Munros:248   Corbetts:31
Fionas:34   Donalds:89+51
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:2
Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland