walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beast versus man on Bidean nam Bian

Beast versus man on Bidean nam Bian

by dogplodder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian

Date walked: 16/08/2016

Distance: 11 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beast versus man on Bidean nam Bian

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Towser wrote:That report really lived Dogplodder. You took me with you all the way, seeing the sights and hearing the sounds, feeling the heat and the heartbeat. And a timely reminder of what mankind is capable of - both bad and good. Lets all strive to help and encourage our fellowmen and women in 2017 and make this world a more loving place.

Thanks Towser - if only we could! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great words and pictures. One of my favourite places especially the Lost Valley which I have visited a few times on its own and a few including the mountain. You feel the history in Glencoe and even more so in the Lost Valley. Cheers :D

There's definitely something about the place. :shh:
dogplodder

Postby shredder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Thoughtfully written report - and with Martin Luther King day this week that was quite an appropriate quote! 8)
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Mal Grey wrote:A lovely, inspiring and thoughtful report. Superb, thank you for spending the time to write it.

:clap:

Thanks MG 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 pm

malky_c wrote:Great place obviously, and well photographed, but also a really good report 8) .

Thanks. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
I have a tremendous sense of how fortunate I am to be living at this point in time - relatively well-off (compared to most of the world), no wars that I or my family have to be involved in, and the good health to enjoy the wonder of places like this. You capture that sense of appreciating our privileged situation really well.

I think we feel that privilege more the older we get. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Great report and lovely photos - all those wonderful greens! I visited this area a lot in the 60-70s but never saw the Northern corries without any snow. Normally the descent into Coire Gabhail involved finding the gap in the cornice, facing in, planting the (long) axe firmly, and kicking into the big steps. After 10m or so the angle eased and you could turn round.
Your pic of Loch Etive looks straight over Beinn Maol Chaluim - one of Etives great group of Corbetts that I've been enjoing this last couple of years. They feel much more like Munros

This whole area is spectacular and to be up there on a good day was such a treat. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:44 pm

shredder wrote:Thoughtfully written report - and with Martin Luther King day this week that was quite an appropriate quote! 8)

Have to admit that was entirely accidental! :shifty:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Petr Dakota wrote: ...such a kind report :wink: Place like Glencoe deserves that...so thank you :D
Here is the pic from Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow where I was with Cheyenne just 6 weeks ago. I kept looking at the picture for a long time there...and I felt the history...
:D

Just noticed I never thanked you for adding your photos Petr.... Good to see the museum ones and your little girl is lovely! :D
dogplodder

Postby daniwalks » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:06 pm

This is a fantastic report and photos, sounds a brilliant day and experience! The story of the deer was lovely, and the end made me cry. Really wonderful and poignant account :)

I love hill walking but also have a healthy fear of steep mild scrambles with some exposure, so I have come to realise! (I walked the Pap of Glencoe this week, amazing walk and I loved it, did find a few moments mildly terrifying towards the summit.) If you happen to see this comment some years later - that toast rack! Did you have to climb up or down that photographed part? Possibly beyond me if so! Does seem a great hill walk though, either way...maybe one day :D
daniwalks

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm

daniwalks wrote:
I love hill walking but also have a healthy fear of steep mild scrambles with some exposure, so I have come to realise! (I walked the Pap of Glencoe this week, amazing walk and I loved it, did find a few moments mildly terrifying towards the summit.) If you happen to see this comment some years later - that toast rack! Did you have to climb up or down that photographed part? Possibly beyond me if so! Does seem a great hill walk though, either way...maybe one day :D

No, didn't climb over the toast rack, the path goes behind it. There's a bit of easy scrambling over boulders but with a path all the way it's not difficult and I don't remember any issue with exposure. The most scary bit for me was the start of the descent where the path is steep and eroded - but with a bit of inelegant bum shuffling it wasn't too bad at all! :lol:
dogplodder

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland