walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craiglich - supercharged Queens view

Craiglich - supercharged Queens view

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craiglich

Date walked: 06/01/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 180m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was a bit iffy, with light rain showing on the BBC graphics, but I thought I'd take Harvey up his next Marilyn, just along the road a wee bit from yesterdays outing. Just before the Queens View layby going west, there's a generous layby on the other side that I U-turned into.

Generous Layby.jpg
A generous layby for a change

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking across the road, the track looked a bit guttery and I could see a couple of vehicles parked up it a bit as if some construction/foresty was being done.

The Track up Craiglich.jpg
The start of the track up Craiglich

However, didn't see anyone working as we walked by. The track continued muddy until the forestry gate was reached. I hopped over the style whilst Harvey squeezed between the fence wires ( none barbed).

Muddy track up to the forestry Gate.jpg
The muddy track up to the foresty gate

The track eased up & round the side of the hill until gaps in the forestry gave us peek of Lochnagar. The cairn marking the turnoff up to the top of Craiglich was bigger than I thought and the track was fairly wide.

Cairn marking the track to top of Craiglich.jpg
Cairn on the main track marking the path to the top

It quickly bringing us out into the open with an easy stroll across the top to the Trig point & monument with its wee rowan tree cowrin' behind it out of the prevailing winds. The monument had started to collapse, but when new it must've been a fair structure - maybe beehive shaped. The view took in Lochnagar, Mt Keen, Mt Battock & Clachnaben to the south, coming round to Morven, the Buck, with Tap o Noth and then Bennachie. What a viewpoint - Queens View supecharged !

Harvey with his back to the Queens View.jpg
Harvey with his back to the Queens view

Harvey reaches the top first.jpg
Harvey reaches the top first again !

The summit monument.jpg
The summit monument

Harvey not impressed with Queens View.jpg
Harvey still not impressed wi the Queens view

I saw Harvey stiffen - looking at something and when I turned round it was a fellow walker. John who had just returned from Angola and was sneaking a wee hill in on his way back home to Buckie ( Hope I haven't blown your cover John) We swopped a few hill stories, then I left him to take some pictures and headed down. On the way down, he caught up with us and we chatted back down to the cars. Great boost to the day, to enthuse with a fellow walker !
Harvey had rolled in the gutters when we were walking along the track, so I had to clean him up before letting him into his house, lest the cleaner be blamed for a poor job ! Soon he was showing his beautiful fox coloured coat again. Weel done Harvey !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland