walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First trip to Scotland. First munro.

First trip to Scotland. First munro.

Postby Tobi H » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/10/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a trip to Scotland on my mind for quite a long time. But as you know, there are always other things to do. So after a planning period of only about 10 years I finally made it to Scotland in October 2016. I travelled with my own car. After arrival with the ferry in Newcastle I made a round trip with the destinations Loch Lomond, Oban, Speyside and Edinburgh.

During the planning of my vacation I decided to climb at least one Munro. I had two reasons for this:

- Quite a few of my colleagues and friends have cool hobbies: diving, sailing, mountain climbing, trekking, moto cross driving. So I felt the need to also do some cool thing.
    - I am heavily overweighted and a real couch potato. The only time I was physically fit to some extend was about 20 years ago during my basic military service. Thus it was time to prove myself. (The alternative would have been to buy a Harley-Davidson.)

I decided to climb Ben Lomond as it is a quite popular Munro and not to difficult. At least according to the tourist guides I read. Furthermore the Loch Lomond area was a good starting point for my round trip.

It took me about 7 hours for reaching the top and returning to the Rowardennan car park. All other people climbing Ben Lomond on the same day were faster than me, but nonetheless I made it!

Here are some impressions of my ascent.

A slight rainbow showing up.
tobi_h_IMG_0398.JPG

Some highland cattle (the black spots).
tobi_h_IMG_0401.JPG

View back on the forest plantations.
tobi_h_IMG_0402.JPG

Clouds casting shadows on the landscape.
tobi_h_IMG_0408.JPG

View to the top of Ben Lomond (my favourite photo).
tobi_h_IMG_0411.JPG

Looking back on Loch Lomond.
tobi_h_IMG_0413.JPG

Looking back on Loch Lomond.
tobi_h_IMG_0414.JPG

View on Loch Ard.
tobi_h_IMG_0415.JPG

Approaching the top.
tobi_h_IMG_0417.JPG

Finally made it. Mist all around.
tobi_h_IMG_0424.JPG

Going down again. But still in the mist.
tobi_h_IMG_0426.JPG

Left the mist.
tobi_h_IMG_0428.JPG

Left the mist.
tobi_h_IMG_0430.JPG

Things I learnt from climbing Ben Lomond:

- autumn in Scotland has beautiful colors to offer: the hills are yellow, golden, brown and red allover
    - do not believe the tourist guides that state that Ben Lomond is not to difficult to climb; if you are an overweighted and untrained couch potato every Munro will be a challenge
    - your legs will hurt for the next five days
    - but the views are worth it all
    - you will be greedy for more

I am already planning to do another trip to Scotland. I will never manage to do all Munros, but I set myself the goal to complete at least five Munros. Scotland, I'll be back!

Tobi H. from Germany
Last edited by Tobi H on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi H
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: First trip to Scotland. First munro.

Postby Somerled87 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Well done Tobi. I enjoyed your report, some nice views, which are never guaranteed. My wife and I have been up Ben Lomond 3 times between us - no views to speak of though!

Glad you enjoyed your first visit to Scotland. All the best for you future adventures. Viel spass.
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:179   Corbetts:20
Fionas:15   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Postby katyhills » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Well done Tobi. Glad you enjoyed your trip and your first hill. :)
I enjoyed reading your report and seeing your photos. Lomond was my first Munro too, as it's the nearest to me, although I'd done other hills.

You're right though - it's all relative. If you're unfit, any hill is hard work, and if you don't go out for a while, even the lower hills are tough! :D

Here's hoping you've got the bug and can get back and do a few more. :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 am

Nice one Tobi and all the best with your future munros, Ben Lomond is a great hill. Well worth doing again. :D Here's a picture from the top taken a few years back. I think it was March.
2013-04-19 12.32.04 (640x480).jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby MrsOrr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Well done Tobi. Some lovely photos there. Makes me want to get up there again. Maybe not today though (terrible weather forecast)
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Well done - good to see you got some views despite the clag :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JEfoundmybootsagain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:48 am

Very well done Tobi. Enjoyed your photos as well. I was up Ben Lomond in August and got no views at all. The whole walk was done in cloud and rain. Camera stayed in my pocket :( Hope you have many more nice days on your Munro quest.
Glucklich wander

John
JEfoundmybootsagain
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Well done Tobi, thank you for sharing your great report. Scottish mountains are far more exciting than Harley Davidsons :lol: and the great thing about being slower than everyone else is that you stand a better chance of getting good views and have longer to enjoy it all :D Hope you have many more fine trips North of the Border.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm

This was my first Munro too...... way back in 1962. Planning a revisit this year for old times sake. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby SassenachCelt » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 pm

As someone else who carries a bit of extra 'timber' and also climbed Ben Lomond as my first Munro, I totally endorse the thoughts of Tobi here.

Well done fella on climbing it - I have since done Schiehallion, Ben Chonzie which I found easier than Lomond and of course there are many where you start at a great height - The Cairnwell Munros for example - will soon get you to your target of 5.

A big :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to you from one overweight Munroist to another. Good luck and welcome to the hillwalking bug.

Seán
SassenachCelt
Ambler

Munros:23   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:9   

Postby katyhills » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Congrats to Tobi for winning with this report too - brilliant! :D
Bit of dosh to spend on more stuff for more hills :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Tobi H » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you all for your comments and congratulations.

As I promised in my post I will be back to Scotland. I already booked my next trip to Scotland for September 2018. I will stay one week on the Isle of Skye and then have some more days in Edinburgh to check out all the spots I did not manage to visit during my first trip.

Unfortunately the Scottish west coast provides the rougher and tougher Munros. Not the ideal situation for a beginner like me. But I found out that Fionn Bheinn near Achnasheen is not too far away from the Isle of Skye. It seems to be the only easier Munro in that area. So I will try to bag this one on my next trip!
Tobi H
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Andymac75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm

On your way to Skye ,you could bag the biggest Munro of the lot; (Ben Nevis)

Nice and accessible in Fort William and a fairly straightforward path to the summit.

Hope you enjoy Your return to Scotland :)
Andymac75

Postby fälensee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:11 am

Well done Tobi :clap:
I also carry some extra pounds around. But it's just a great feeling, once you're on top! If you are on Skye, try Ben Tianavaig, just above Portree. It's not a munro, but the walk is beautiful and the views magnificent! There's also some really nice walks along the coast, my favourite one is Rubha Hunish. You'll find them all on this website :D
Cheers, Barbara
fälensee
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland