walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benaquhallie the consumer hill

Benaquhallie the consumer hill

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benaquhallie

Date walked: 05/01/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First outing of 2017. Looked like a good day forecast and I had to walk my sons young dog Harvey.
GordonC was free so we set off at about 11 to pick up Harvey, then out past Echt to the disused quarry parking suggested by the WH tradesman.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Gordonc is a bit of a local history buff and mused on the way from Westhill that a railway used to run through near here. Didn't even know any railways came this way - I'll have to look it up !
Was a bit concerned that there may have been stock in the field that links the road to the rough ground, but there was none, which was a relief.
Trogged up the fenceline on the E side to reach a gate into the rough ground and the quad track.
Sun was shining and a light sharp SW breeze characterised the weather - a really pleasant day to start walking off the turkey excesses of the festive season ! Harvey seemed to be enjoying the change of scenery too - snuffling at every vole hole.

Benaquhallie from Tullich Hill.jpg
Benaquhallie from Tulloch Hill

We were looking out for tradesmans Fitbit as we walked over Tulloch Hill, round the corner and up towards the copse of Larch, which the track took us through. The final walk to the trig point was a bit steeper on a good track.I stopped to take a photo while GordonC & Harvey powered on up.

Gordon on the crest of Benaquhallie.jpg
GordonC & Harvey on the final slope

The view from the top gave us vistas to Bennachie, Morven, Mt Keen and everything in between, including Craigievar Castle.
There were quite a lot of community wind turbines, which, being on the side of the hills or in the dips near the farms were visible, but not nearly as bad as the commercial Fannery's which can be seen for miles around and dominate the countryside.

Benaquhallie Trig Point.JPG
GordonB & Harvey at Benaquhallie Trig Pt

While GordonC was sorting things out on the top of the trig point, I heard a gasp of anguish as he dropped part of his specs case down the middle of the trig station where the brass blanking plate in the middle of the theodolite mount had been unscrewed and removed. Usually, idle walkers drop chukkies down it until its full to the top, but this one was empty - so the specs case dropped out of site into a crevass-like abyss. Ah well - another visit to Costco.
We walked over to the cairn to get a wee bit of shelter from the biting breeze and settled down for a piece and to soak in the great views.

GordonC modelling at the cairn.jpg
GordonC Modelling on the cairn

The Benaquhallie cairn.jpg
The grand Benaquhallie cairn

It got chilly quite quickly as we cooled down, so we headed off back down. At this point, Harvey seemed to divert from search and snuffle, to having a wee mentaller - running round in circles and up and down the track in frenetic motion - really enjoying himself. This was great, as I hadn't brought his ball catapult.
Soon he calmed down and reverted to snuffling mode again.

Looking down the track towards the copse of Larch.jpg
Looking down the track towards the Larch copse

As we breasted Tulloch hill again, I saw a pair of glasses lying on the track. Jings I thought, they look like mine - yes they ARE mine. Must've dropped them when I stopped to take a photo on the way up.
Back at the car we searched for Harvey's ID tag. I 'd clipped his lead into the ring of his ID tag instead of his collar D-ring. Naturally, it pinged apart the first lunge that Harvey gave. Found it eventually and closed the quarry gate on the way out. Celebrated with a cup o tea and a dram when we got back - an great day out on a hill that consumed a Fitbit, a spec case, a pair o glasses and a dog tag.
Future walkers beware o this hill...........or maybe we're just gettin' too old !
Gordon Ballantyne
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:54   

Re: Benaquhallie the consumer hill

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

Gordon Ballantyne wrote:Celebrated with a cup o tea and a dram when we got back - an great day out on a hill that consumed a Fitbit, a spec case, a pair o glasses and a dog tag.
Future walkers beware o this hill...........or maybe we're just gettin' too old !

Thanks for having a look out for the fitbit…seems like this hill has been programmed by Amazon to spirit away our kit and force us to buy new replacements :)
superstar_tradesman
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland