walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone from Braemar

Morrone from Braemar

Postby inca » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 11/12/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 665m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Map: British Mountain Map – ‘Cairngorms and Lochnagar'

Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog

An early Sunday start and an uneventful drive up from Edinburgh saw me parking near to Braemar police station at 0815 hours. The dogs and I were underway 10 minutes later. The village was very quiet and a strong cold wind swirled in from the south.

My plan was simple enough – follow the WH route to the summit. The forecast wasn’t promising so I figured I’d just go with how I felt on the return – either taking in the extended WH route near to Clunie Water or coming back as I went up.

As it transpired I didn’t have to wait till then. Shortly after passing the duck pond and entering the birch woods, I turned right -instead of left- at the junction just before you come to Morrone’s northern nose. I simply wasn’t paying attention and before I realised it I was following a fine path southwest around the mountain’s lower slopes towards Allachlair and Glen Ey.

30 minutes later, I made a quick check of the map and saw my error. A quick U-turn and back the same way. In the process of doing so, three fine stags ambled out in front of us.

And so it was the dogs and I started to climb Morrone almost 1 hour after we should have done. The woodland was pretty enough of course but by then I was in a foul mood. The wind had become very raw and my ‘detour’ had put paid to all plans other than an out and back walk.

Still, silver linings and all that – my frame of mind meant that I powered up the well-worn track and was sheltering in the lee of the summit’s radio hut 50 minutes later. The views west and east were decent enough.

On the way down I passed the only other walkers I saw all morning – 2 Japanese tourists. They looked thoroughly miserable.

Back at the car and underway again –for home- at midday. Several Braeemar Mountain Rescue vehicles were arriving at the police station as I left. Cheery faces suggested it was an exercise only.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland