walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Subs Near Duns

Two Subs Near Duns

Postby inca » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dirrington Great Law, Meikle Says Law

Date walked: 15/12/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 465m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Map: OS 1:50,000 no.67

Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog

1. Meikle Says Law: 11k, 265m ascent, 2 hrs 15m

1000 hours on a Thursday morning and I found the start point to the WH route without difficulty. Just me, the dogs and a thick mist over the Lammermuirs for company – didn’t see another soul all day.

The route starts at approx.. 400m height. There is decent space for parking and the track drops quickly SW past Faseny Cottage and some outbuildings. Faseny itself is in good nick – it had a fresh coat of orange paint and seems to be used for catering purposes only. The black barn nearby seems to be a pick-up and drop-off point for shooting parties.

Pretty much followed the outward WH route to the letter. Progress is made quickly on decent tracks that involve crossing and recrossing the Faseny Burn no less than 5 times. There are few problems.

Eventually the outward track turns back on itself so that you arrive at the freshly pained trig point proceeding on a NE bearing. By this time, the mist had closed in and there was little or nothing to see. For me at least – the dogs took after a hare for a few minutes before returning empty-handed.

My original intention was to carry on NE and pick up a separate track for the return however the ground was sodden and I didn’t really fancy moor and heather bashing so came back the same way I went out. I’d imagine the views on a good day would be extensive.

2. Dirrington Says Law: 6k, 200m ascent, 1 hr 15m

A short car run to the south of Longformacus and I was ready to go again at 1240 hours. I’d read online about the occupants of Dronshiel having problems with walkers so to avoid any fuss I took others’ advice here and parked up half a mile or so beyond it. I then took to the muddy track which leads SE towards a small plantation.

The track then turns west, alongside a wall, up the steepening slopes of DGL all the way to the summit cairn and tumbledown trig point. Again the mist precluded any views.

Return as outward route.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland