walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Forcan Ridge

Forcan Ridge

Postby altpope » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 27/08/2010

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this route on 27.08.2010 on my own.

Forcan Ridge is brilliant, decent scramble.

Approach Notes: Following the route description might be best bet as I opted to cut straight through the bog, WSW to the bottom of the hill and then contoured round left to pick up the path. The bog was a bit soft, I don't think it made any difference to time, plus had to jump a fence.

Descent Notes: The path down the shoulder of Faochag is good with great views, but if pressed for time I think returning to col and taking the same way back down as used in ascent is quite a bit quicker.
altpope
Stravaiging

Munros:60   

Re: Forcan Ridge

Postby houdi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Sounds like you enjoyed it, altpope. Like you, I did this route on my own a couple of weeks ago and, unlike my first attempt at the beginning of May, had a glorious day weather-wise. After completing the South Ridge and the Five Sisters previously, I was stupid enough to think these 2 munros would be a short day. Far from it. The lengthy Scramble and big loss of height between the two munros makes for a long day. Don't know about you, but I'm still confused as to which is the true summit of the Saddle. Is it the trig point or not? Met a few people on top who seemed to think it wasn't. I visited everything up there just in case.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 am

It's supposed to be the trig point - I'm hoping so at least...
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 am

mountain coward wrote:It's supposed to be the trig point - I'm hoping so at least...

the cairn is the highest point is it not - you may have to go back then :wink:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby altpope » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 am

Hmm, yeah, I thought the trig was a bit odd, I will check the photo I took, might post here, just in case.
alex
altpope
Stravaiging

Postby altpope » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:32 am

Firt time doing this, hope the Saddle trig photo loads up ok. It might not be relevant to this thread at all as the whole thing is in cloud, but that was the way it happened.

From very poor memory, t
The Saddle.JPG
The Saddle - trig point
he trig itself is about 200-300 meters after Forcan Ridge ends.
altpope
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland