walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fab solo hike adventure

Fab solo hike adventure

Postby AileenEnglishTutor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Route description: Duncolm and the Slacks, Old Kilpatrick

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Duncolm

Date walked: 19/01/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 490m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first proper excursion into the hills alone (without a gravelled path the majority of the way). I found the directions to be thorough and really useful. This is a brilliant route if you want to be alone for about four hours - I passed some lovely folk on my way up from the train station to the loch and exchanged breathless hellos, but was completely isolated from that point onwards. I opted for the steep route up and over Middle Duncolm on the way out and on the way back, relishing the new challenge. My confidence and strength are growing! Being able to go out to the trig point at the Slacks on the way back was a bonus.

In brief: the incline in the first hour is hard work, and the path is as boggy as the directions say it is, but this route is an absolute delight! Well worth the exertion for the wind in your hair and glorious views in all directions.

The Forestry Commission are currently re-fencing at the top of the Slacks. The directions to get up to the trig point are still pretty accurate, but here is my edit of Stage 7:
'Turn left along the fenceline. The trig point atop the Slacks can be seen atop the next escarpment to the right. Turn right where the fencing ends, following the slight descent across a boggy depression. Then climb the very short, steep slope up to the Slacks. escarpment.'
And for Stage 9:
'Soon the path gives a stunning view of the Erskine Bridge ahead. It then bends right, and meets another path running across the hill - follow this left and then round a sharp zig-zag right (or keep ahead for several metres to shortcut the zig-zag). Then follow the gently graded path as it heads west, eventually meeting the main track used during the ascent. Turn left to head down this, retracing your steps back to Old Kilpatrick.'
AileenEnglishTutor
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Fab solo hike adventure

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:56 am

Careful! This is how the obsession starts.... :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Fab solo hike adventure

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:39 pm

I loved by bright day out in the Kilpatrick Braes. Not the rugged grandeur of mountains, but peaceful rolling hills with clear views to horizons peppered with mountains and wide, urban horizons to their opposite.

It's handy it's a very cheap train journey too.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland