walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby Kenny Monaghan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26.9 km

Ascent: 1482m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wee jaunt to Spittal of Glenshee to do Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ, we done the cheat paid the £2.00 to park at the hotel and glad we did. The walk in would have been fine but I think I'd just moan all the way from the hotel to the actual start car park if we hadn't. Cracking day for walking, good clear sky and not too much snow the only thing to question the sanity of being out was the temperature gauge showing minus 6.5. The ground was good walking due to the frost firm it up so no issues with wet grass or peat bogs. 2 hours from the car we were on top of Glas Tulaichean trying to work out how to get over to Carn an Righ by going straight down the side of the hill instead of following the path all the way round, off we went cutting a good bit off the route, this got us thinking if we can get up to Carn an Righ reasonably quick we could manage Beinn Iutharn Mhor and still be back to the car before the darkness settled in.

On the tops the wind was bitter so despite awesome views and cloud inversions all round it was to cold to sit around taking them in, obligatory photos were taken and we we're off. Loch nan Eun was stunning due to it being frozen over and the hills around it being light up by the sinking sun, awesome
Attachments
DSCF2273.jpg
Kenny Monaghan
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby Coop » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Think I'll be paying that 2 quid when I get round to these couple.
I wasn't that far away over at the east of drumochter .
As you say, wee bit cold to start off and no bother with any boggy areas as they too were all frozen
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

These are a great round imo, I had to get the map out as I couldn't recall the name of the ruined lodge I cycled to, twas Altanour via Glen Ey, as I went up Carn Bhac first.

The Loch nan Eun is a beautiful spot for a camp, and the walk out North to rejoin Glen Ey is lovely too, saves a couple of quid, although after the cycle that would be better spent on a massage :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland