walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not quite the same route but similar

Not quite the same route but similar

Postby WalkiesAmber » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Route description: Gardenstown and Crovie

Date walked: 22/01/2017

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having driven to Gardenstown and parked at the harbour (very beautiful), a section of the coast path to Crovie was washed away so you have to walk on the rocky shore which when the tide is high will be dangerous and you could be stranded and having to be air lifted out.... So being a complete chicken when it comes to the sea (and totally over reacting which you'll see by the weather in the photos :shock: ), I decided I wouldn't risk it.

Using facebook the night before, I looked at the towns FB community page and found a walk someone had posted to Crovie. You park up at Bracoden school just out of Gardenstown, I have done a map to show you. Park down the side of the school and there at the side is a brand spanking new path leading right down to Crovie. Stupidly didn't take a photo of the path but is it buggy/wheelchair usable, about 2 meters wide, fine black gravel and fenced off down the field side. However, when you join the small road on the last leg of walk, the hill is very steep and buggies/wheelchairs are probably not safe. They have also positioned about 5 brand new seats/benches on this walk that must have only been 2 days old THANK YOU EU FUNDING!!!! (the sign at the walk start tells you who funded the walk, maybe that will stop after brexit :( ).

The walk down the village gives glimpses of what's to come but you don't see the village until the last minute and WOW, what a treat. We walked to the end of the village and sat on what looked like a public seat but suspiciously in a so called garden. I think the lady who lived in the last cottage has just taken over the little piece of land as hers :lol: . She popped out to check us out so we asked her if it was OK and she said yes. I don't think she was Scottish, maybe Scandinavian or German sounding but happy to let us sit in her 'adopted' 8) garden.

We were blessed with the weather, no wind but I'd love to come here with the waves crashing against the houses. By the small rocks laying along the sides of the houses, that must be a scary experience as you're so close to the sea with rocks hitting your house gulp... :shock:

This coast line is just glorious, some people say like Cornwall. OH NO IT ISN'T.... this place is so special and very different from Cornwall. Much, much more beautiful. I wish I knew about this area earlier.

Our itinerary that day was setting off from Findochty. Visiting Findlater Castle, walking on Sandend Beach then driving into Gardenstown. Doing this walk from the school and then driving 10 minutes to Troup Head (see my post there) then heading back to Findochty as it was dark by 430pm. Can't wait to go back.

ImageGardentown by Nathalie McNamara, on Flickr[/img] Gardenstown cottages by Harbour
ImageCrovie (5) by Nathalie McNamara, on Flickr[/img] Crovie from the hairpin bend
ImageCrovie (6) by Nathalie McNamara, on Flickr[/img] Crovie from the pier
ImageCrovie (4) by Nathalie McNamara, on Flickr[/img] Looking back to Gardenstown from hairpin bend into Crovie
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

WalkiesAmber
Mountaineer

Re: Not quite the same route but similar

Postby Unst » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Very informative. Google the Great Storm of 1953(?) that wiped out Crovie and Clearances history.
Unst
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland