walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Tairbeirt - well worth a walk

Cruach Tairbeirt - well worth a walk

Postby rob munbett » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Tairbeirt

Date walked: 23/01/2017

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Firstly, let me thank BHKenny for his report which was a great help to me. However, there have been a few changes since his walk. There are no red markers and there is a new forestry road to cross. Anyway, it was one of these mornings when it was 50/50 whether to bother or not - there was a low, thick freezing mist - but I decided to head up from Glasgow, and I'm glad I did. I parked by the station and went under the line and went straight up the path ahead (ignore the track to the right) Soon I came to a t-junction and a sign - take the Cruach Tairbeirt loop route to the right. A bit higher up, I came to a new grey stone forestry road - cross this and take the path straight ahead. So far ,so good. After a steeper section the path turns to the right and dips over a small burn. This is where you must take a narrow track up though the woods on the left.
P1030587.JPG
Turn left into the trees after this rise
A narrow track goes straight up between the rows of trees.
P1030569.JPG
The track up through the trees
Keep going until a small cairn is reached. The track seems to keep going straight ahead but the route to the right, over some fallen trees leads out of the woods on to a grassy track that leads right to the summit - so it is well worth finding this turning point.
P1030586.JPG
turn right at this small cairn and go over the fallen trees
It's a easy stroll on this grassy path, the view improving all the time, up to the summit trig.
Sloy from Cruach Tairbeirt.JPG
Sloy from the summit
P1030579.JPG
Ben Lomond from the summit
P1030581.JPG
Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler from the summit
I just followed my route of ascent back to the car and was enjoying the heater in no time.
P1030585.JPG
Descending back to the tree-line
I have to say that this is a cracking little hill - the views, even on a poor day, are well worth the little time and effort it takes to get to the top. It's perfect for a short morning or afternoon and would be an interesting and safe route with children who would love the fabulous panoramas

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Cruach Tairbeirt - well worth a walk

Postby stantheman101 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Just to thank Rob for his route up Cruach Tairbeirt. i had an unsuccessful venture up this hill about 2 years ago, bad route and a huge bog to go though and then foiled by heavy snow!. Robs route by contrast was easy to follow, fantastic views on the top and en route! Sun was out .. and I received the route just one day before going up .. so that worked out really well !! Thanks again !
stantheman101
Munro compleatist

Postby teaandpies » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Excellent 360' views from this little beauty.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby JamieDT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks. Tohe route description through the lower part in the forest was really useful.

Lovely walk, bit different in the snow!
Attachments
F7765A19-6FCF-48FE-A129-5D79F654AC33.jpeg
JamieDT

Postby Livi trixie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Thanks for a great walk report.

The right turn for the Cruach Tairbert Loop is not signed (there is a sign in the other direction for Arrochar Trail) and has a barrier across but easy to walk round it.

Cruach Tairbert Walk Signpost.jpg

After that we just followed your instructions. A great half-day walk with wonderful views.
Livi trixie
Walker

Munros:194   Corbetts:102
Fionas:94   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:212   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:19   Islands:55

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland