walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Berwick Law

North Berwick Law

Postby inca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: North Berwick Law

Date walked: 16/01/2017

Time taken: 0.75 hours

Distance: 1.8 km

Ascent: 170m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Map: OS 1:50,000 no.66
Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog
Time taken: 45m

I had a spare hour or two to kill on an overcast Monday morning. I logged into Walk Highlands (WH) and for some reason – suspect my Mac’s on the way out :roll: - the Sub 2k map came straight up. It was magnified to a large area of sea off the coast of East Lothian. North Berwick Law was the only hill visible. So that was it: Fate dictated the Law.

Fast forward an hour and I’m sitting in the car park at the WH start point. There are four other vehicles here, two being liveried dog walkers. I have a print of the route and take a quick look at the first few stages. I’ve been in North Berwick several times before so I’m not interested in the suggested beach or town circuit. Odd that I’d not considered climbing the Law before though – it’s conspicuous on the skyline all the way from Edinburgh.

There’s not really a lot to say about the walk itself. I went through the hole in the wall and followed obvious footfall. 25 minutes later the dogs and I were stood beside the trig point. I assumed I had followed the WH route to the letter but when I looked back at other trip reports later there were more photographs with directional signposts than I'd seen.

Hole in the wall at start/finish
Imagefullsizeoutput_30f4 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

One of several ponies
Imagefullsizeoutput_30f0 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Maybe some signs had been removed or maybe I’d taken a detour path. It’s hard to know. In any case, I doubt you’d run into difficulty ascending any part of the west side of this hill. It’s wetter than I anticipated -a danger in a colder winter than this one perhaps- however progress was made quickly and easily.

Points of interest –

• Several ponies on the lower slopes – I read later they’re of the Exmoor variety and employed by East Lothian Council to keep the grass down. Passed them at close quarters and neither they nor the dogs seemed interested in each other.

• WWII ruin near top – good views but a grim place to be posted I’d imagine.
Imagefullsizeoutput_30f2 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

• Ruins of an older outlook tower near top – decent amount of the building left and probably atmospheric at sundown.
Imagefullsizeoutput_3093 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

• Trig point – painted lustrous white with some stencilled ‘street’ philosophy thereon.

• Whalebone arch – gaudy, fibreglass copy of original.
Imagefullsizeoutput_3087 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_3091 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

• Seascape views – wonderful.
Imagefullsizeoutput_308d by Neil Mackay, on Flickr
inca
Mountaineer

Munros:223   Corbetts:71
Grahams:82   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:184   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland