walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Garbh! It's Garbh Bheinn

Great Garbh! It's Garbh Bheinn

Postby katyhills » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Route description: Garbh Bheinn, Loch Leven

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh Bheinn (Loch Leven)

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 6.84 km

Ascent: 865m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great looking forecast for Saturday 21st January, so I decided on Garbh Bheinn at Kinlochleven for my outing.
A longish drive, but the car was scraped and I was on my way before 8am, so not too early to get out of bed :wink:
Lots of fog en route, and plenty of people waiting to get the right moment for photos at Rannoch Moor. The fog lifted a little just beyond the best spots, so I stopped for a quick pic of the Black Mount hills and surrounds
DSCF3513 (640x244).jpg

Fog was gradually clearing, and by the time I parked at the layby near Caolasnacon, a few miles west of Kinlochleven, the sky was clear and it looked like I was in for a great day. Half an hour in, and the views were already superb. Looking back (west) down Loch Leven - the Pap of Glencoe stood out
DSCF3516 (640x357).jpg

and to the north, those beautiful Mamores were already making their presence felt
DSCF3517 (640x480).jpg

The walk is fairly straightforward - you're basically heading ESE over the three tops, and there's a reasonable path most of the way in these good conditions, but that does this hill an injustice. It's a steep little beggar! The first of the three summits was just ahead - Torran nan Crann
DSCF3519 (640x344).jpg

Pushing on towards the next summit of Stob Coire Sgoilte, it was hard not to keep stopping for photo opportunities. Definitely a hill for looking back from, as these views prove. The Ballachulish Horseshoe in the background with all the hills west of Loch Linnhe seen behind Loch Leven's other Corbett, Mam nan Gualainn
DSCF3536 (640x480).jpg

The sun was getting up above the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glencoe to the south, making photos of that tricky, so I waited till the summit for better ones. In the meantime, Garbh Bheinn's summit was looking inviting
DSCF3532 (480x640).jpg

Twenty minutes later and I was on the summit, with 360 degree views of some of Scotland's most famous hills. North to the Mamores, with 'The Ben' and the Aonachs behind, and... well - it's just 'aw the hills' :wink:
DSCF3540 (640x327).jpg

The Aonach Eagach, looking close enough to touch!
DSCF3543 (640x320).jpg

East to Schiehallion-is it really visible from almost any peak on a clear day? It certainly seemed that way today! :)
DSCF3550 (640x362).jpg

Summit pano - complete with my shadow :roll:
DSCF3538 (640x172).jpg

So much sun and so little snow - how often can we say that in January! :D
Time to head back, enjoying those great views again all the way. The little bits of scrambling on the hill are easy in those good conditions, but easily avoided if you don't fancy them.
It's always a different walk on the way back, and I took the opportunity of another photo across to Stob Ban from the little stretch between the summit and S.C.Sgoilte
DSCF3560 (640x480).jpg

I'd had a thoroughly enjoyable few hours on the hill, including a lengthy chat with a lovely chap from Fort William. It was warm and sheltered enough at that point to stand for half an hour without adding an extra layer. Better than many summer days! Glorious skies on the journey home too, until a big bank of fog approaching Tyndrum, but the fading light and low winter sun gave me a final chance for a pic of my 'local' Munro, Ben Lomond
DSCF3564 (640x368).jpg

I know lots of people had a great day on the hills on Saturday. How lucky are we? :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Great Garbh! It's Garbh Bheinn

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Nice report and lovely photos. Hard to believe it's January. Garbh Bheinn looks very tempting, I have added it too my ever growing must visit soon list.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Garbh Bheinn looks very tempting, I have added it too my ever growing must visit soon list.

If you fancy a bit of a longer day, a round including Sgorr Mhic Eacharna and Beinn Bheag is very good.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby katyhills » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

That's the other G.B. jmarkb - across at Loch Linnhe. I was on the Kinlochleven one :wink:
That looks a great walk too though :)

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Nice report and lovely photos. Hard to believe it's January. Garbh Bheinn looks very tempting, I have added it too my ever growing must visit soon list.

Thanks Cc. It was a real delight. If I lived nearer, it would be a 'go to' hill for short winter days or an afternoon in summer.
katyhills
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 pm

katyhills wrote:That's the other G.B. jmarkb - across at Loch Linnhe. I was on the Kinlochleven one :wink:

Oops! Sorry..... :oops:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Both GB look good, and we had thought about the one you mentioned Mark so nice to have it confirmed as a good route. Thank you
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby katyhills » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Oops! Sorry..... :oops:[/quote]

Easy mistake to make when there are so many hills with the same name. :D
I wittered on to someone once about Ben Vorlich and they didn't realise there was two of them. I meant the one at Lochearnhead not the Loch Lomond one and I think I confused him quite a bit.... :lol:
katyhills
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 am

I'm keeping this one for WH meet in April :D :D Good viewpoint to the scary AE (gulp).

The other Corbett across the loch (Mam na Gullain I think is the name) is just as nice especially if you walk the whole ridge.

I agree that "snow conditions" this year are exceptional. I had a look at Wyvis yesterday and it's almost completely bare apart from a few sad patches on the steeper slopes... My crampons are getting rusty, my ice axe is covered with cobwebs.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 pm

That looks a great hill :D

Fab photos and trip rep... Like BP I think I'll do this one at the April WH Meet - if it's nice!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby katyhills » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:20 pm

On a day like that, the views are tremendous. Well worth the trip.

Got my eye on the other one for another day Panther! Think your crampons and ice axe might get an outing this weekend, looking at the forecast :wink:

I know lots of people don't like a long drive, but I enjoy that too, especially when you get the scenery that the route through Glencoe and up Loch Lomond offers. I love it no matter how often I do it :D
katyhills
Walker

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Saturday was great wasn't it :D Looks like a lovely hill and smashing views. Love your last one of the sunset on wee Ben. I was just above you on Beinn Bhreac enjoying a similar view :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland