walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of the views

Hill of the views

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 740m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did Meall an-t-Seallaidh in snowy conditions from Glen Ogle a couple of years ago, but the weather was poor and I took no photos. Having had a wander up Kirkton Glen the previous weekend and reading in U059361's report viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20345 that you could escape from the woods just beyond the Creag an Tuirc viewpoint, I decided to follow that route.
The weather in Balquidder was supposed to be sunny all day, but the mist along Loch Earn persisted all the way to the car park at the church. I followed the track over the little bridge, and headed up the glen, but took a small unsignposted path on the R (not shown on the WH map) which led up to the viewpoint. There were some magnificent Scots pines nearby but in the continuing mist photos were pointless. I returned to the gate turned R, went thru a second gate and headed up the steep hillside around NNE. At about 450m I burst through into the sunshine and continued up Craig Mhullaich taking photos as I went up and marvelling at the almost total lack of snow. Above the Crag the angle eased.
3872.jpg
Just coming out of the mist
3879.jpg
East towards Vorlich
3882.jpg
South to Ben Vane
3884a.jpg
Beyond Inverlochlarig
3890.jpg
Vorlich again from higher up
3893.jpg
South towards Callander
3900.jpg
Inverlochlarig again - Stob a Choin stands out
3901.jpg
Even Ben More and Stobinian were almost snow -free
I headed pretty well North towards the summit, but the going was very heavy and on reflection it might have been better to continue more to the East to reach firmer going on the "ridge"
3912.jpg
The summit comes into view: It was only about a km away, but I seemed to make very slow progress
3904.jpg
Looking up to the head of the Kirkton Glen
3909.jpg
Stobinian, Ben More and Ben Challuim
3906.jpg
The summit again: it didn't feel a lot nearer, but I did head up more to the R at this point
3915.jpg
Firmer ground on the ridge
3921.jpg
There was even mist in Glen Ample
3924.jpg
Looking North from the summit to the hills beyond Glen Dochart - lovely evening sunshine on the nearby slopes
3927.jpg
Looking across Glen Kendrum to Creag Mac Ranaich and the Loch Tay hills . Meall Ghaordaidh on the L
3930.jpg
A zoomed view - no snow on this side of Ben Lawers either

The "Hill of the Views" looks down on three lochs:-
3933.jpg
Loch Earn
3935.jpg
Loch Lubnaig
3939.jpg
and Loch Voil :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had planned to follow the high ground round to the head of the Kirkton Glen, but given the time, I thought better of it and from the col before Cam Chreag descended L towards the woods.
3944.jpg
You can' beat that evening sunshine :)
3950.jpg
Just above the woods - the mist hadn't lifted all day
The deer fence here is not in great repair and I was able to step over it at one point. Unfortunately my way down was blocked by steep ground and a waterfall, but by climbing back over the fence, crossing the burn and climbing back in, I found a section with a lot of open ground and descended easily to the big track of the "loop". I followed this South until it cut back R, when another little path ( this one signposted) led me back to join the morning's route. It was pretty dark in the trees but I always carry a headtorch at this time of year. A great day out :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland