walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Mamores - Perseverance Pays Off

Eastern Mamores - Perseverance Pays Off

by Stretch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Èilde Mòr and Binnein Beag, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 29/08/2010

Time taken: 23 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 2000m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Eastern Mamores - Perseverance Pays Off

Postby Alan S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks for the report stretch,ive also just checked the report by alastair which is also a cracker 8)
Im heading out next sunday and ive had my eye on these 4 for a while but in one day it certainly looks possible.
Nice pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Alan. It definetely makes for a good day out, and the good thing is there are several ways of going about these four.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Another cracking report there stretch,and pics,I see alan s has had his eye on this walk,and is heading out maybe this way on Sunday 12th with JB likes a beer,the problem is I"m going also,but not sure if my gammy leg will hold up,seams like a long day,and I"m not the quickest or fittest :( :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:37 am

I don't normally post replies on what I call the "pro walk" reports (as I'm still a novice) but I have to say the pictures are simply breathtaking. Maybe one day...
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 am

Hope you fully recover soon Gammy, don't want your pals to walk off and leave you in the dust.

2dalmations, I started posting on reports when I had 3 munros under my belt so don't feel like you can't post anywhere at anytime. I'm certainly not a pro, just had a great day with my camera.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Nice report Stretch. When I started reading it I admired your tenacity heading off into that wind. But it paid off with an excellent second day. Great set of photos. :D
monty

Postby davetherave » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 am

Truly amazing pics stretch, just amazing. How the hell did I miss this report 1st time round. Would have most certainly came in handy to us on our winter attempt.!

We are hoping to possibly get back amongst them this weekend.(feeling nervous)

Plan trying the NE ridge again, hopefully be more successful than our last attempt.

Possibly camp between the 2 Binneins, this may be enough to allow us to travel the whole ridge the following day.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Stretch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 am

Cheers Dave, I'm looking at possibly finishing the other 6 this weekend so if you guys and Wilson are out maybe we'll cross paths. There are places to camp between the two Binneins though I do remember it being a bit rocky. Looking forward to your full report when you get this route done!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby blueyed » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 pm

wow, great walk stretch, thanks for sharing. great efford and it was worth it! :) cheers!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Stretch wrote:Cheers Graeme and Barnety! Don't forget to check out Alastair's report on two of these hills, classic pics.

A Laser Comp is actually a device I'm hoping to use to take over the world, but it's not quite ready yet, so for now I just sleep in it :lol:

Fine looking report there Stretch, i'm up Kinlochleven this weekend with some folk from work so looking at various options. This one might be too long for a day's trek in company but i'm not going to rule it out.

Did you get round to doing the Ring of Steall yet? I've got all my camping arsenal sorted now so i think i'll look to take a jaunt up for that in August.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby The Summiteer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Excellent report Stretch. Really enjoyed your photos too - of my favourite hill walking area. :D
The Summiteer
Mountaineer

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:8

Postby Stretch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Cheers Summiteer!

Nathan, I have yet to do the rest of the Mamores, including the Ring of Steall. I'd like to get them done this month, but I just don't know if it will be possible, so August would be more likely, unless some of us at the Roy Bridge meet-up decide to do it. On my route here, on a nice day I don't think it would be too long for one day in company. You might just want to head up Binnein Mor from the opposite side that I did though to save some time and distance. It's a bit more scrambly though. Binnein Beag is a piece of cake to be honest, so most of your energy would be spent climing it's larger neighbor. As for wild camping, we need to get one scheduled this fall before I head stateside. There's always a Braeriach traverse!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby nathan79 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Stretch wrote:Cheers Summiteer!

Nathan, I have yet to do the rest of the Mamores, including the Ring of Steall. I'd like to get them done this month, but I just don't know if it will be possible, so August would be more likely, unless some of us at the Roy Bridge meet-up decide to do it. On my route here, on a nice day I don't think it would be too long for one day in company. You might just want to head up Binnein Mor from the opposite side that I did though to save some time and distance. It's a bit more scrambly though. Binnein Beag is a piece of cake to be honest, so most of your energy would be spent climing it's larger neighbor. As for wild camping, we need to get one scheduled this fall before I head stateside. There's always a Braeriach traverse!

Whatever i end up doing this weekend, i hope the torrents and lightning stays away!

That Braeriach traverse looks like a fine couple of days. It MUST be done.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland