walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

bothy bagging gone wrong!

bothy bagging gone wrong!

Postby andrewl7642 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Date walked: 20/04/2016

Time taken: 72 hours

Distance: 96 km

Ascent: 939m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The original plan was to visit 6 bothies in the Cairngorms starting from Banchory in Royal Deeside to finish at Crathie, Balmoral some days later. I had my route well planned out using Google Earth.

Things didn't quite go to plan.
On the final night of my trip I couldn't find the Shieling of Mark bothy (it is well hidden) this meant that I couldn't navigate my way to the next place, which would have been Glen Muick. I became stuck in a valley where I had to wild camp for the night and turn back the following day.

My quickest escape route back to civilisation was a climb over Mount Keen (939 m ascent) from Invermark, to follow a path towards Ballater but the Ballater path wasn't clear so I ended up walking 16 miles from the summit of Mount Keen all the way to Aboyne.

During my adventure I passed through Banchory, Aboyne, Glen Esk, Tarfside, Invermark, Loch Lee and climbed Clachnaben, Mount Battock, Hill of Rowan and Mount Keen (for a second time). I visited three bothies including Charr, Glen Lee hut and Stables of Lee.

I must have walked about 70 miles over the hills but failed at my initial challenge to visit 6 bothies in a row.

I made a series of videos for Youtube:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland