walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a Bhuachaille & Creagan Gorm & Meall a Bhuachaille

Meall a Bhuachaille & Creagan Gorm & Meall a Bhuachaille

Postby Strathdrynie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 am

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 26/01/2017

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We left the car at Glenmore and walked up the beautiful trail to the Green Lochan,
IMG_5310.JPG

An Lochain Uaine which was a mysterious dark green today.

Decided to walk up to the bothy at Ryvoan first before ascending up to the summit of Meall a Bhuachaille. I started off at 0850 hours and never saw another sole until on the summit. The path was very clear and eroded in some parts.
IMG_5312.JPG

The summit cairn is built so you can take shelter easily and I had been prepared for the “upland gales” for the area but I was lucky as there was hardly a breath of wind. The sun was shining by now and I felt I should have put sunscreen on, but I hadn’t packed it! Well who would have thought of sunscreen in January in the Cairngorms. Met two guys at the summit enjoying their day out, they had walked up through the forest onto the bealach turn right to the summit and back down the way I had come up!. 4G at the summit, amazing.
IMG_5314.JPG

I could see my “home” hill of Ben Wyvis and the Cairngorms were looking splendid with only a few with snow on.the Northern Corries. The views were stunning down to Loch Morlich and I could hear some husky dogs down near at Loch Morlich. After a snack I set off down the path towards the bealach then back up again to summit of Creagan Gorm and more fantastic views.
IMG_5316.JPG

I decided to visit Meall a Bhuachaille once again as the weather was great and didn’t want to walk down through the forrest obscuring any view. Met lots of folk walking up. Popped into Ryvoan Bothy to check it out, nice and clean with plenty kindlers. Back down the track,
IMG_5318.JPG

let Wee Jess have a wee dip in the Lochan and back to the car at Glenmore. A great first day in the Cairngorms this year.
Strathdrynie
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Meall a Bhuachaille & Creagan Gorm & Meall a Bhuachaille

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 pm

A great hill. Cromdales and Rinnes catch my eye in your second photo and a good view of Sgorr Gaoith.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland