walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braemar to Inverness 113 mile long distance hike

Braemar to Inverness 113 mile long distance hike

Postby andrewl7642 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Date walked: 23/08/2016

Time taken: 144 hours

Distance: 181 km

Ascent: 732m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An epic 113 mile cross country walk from Braemar to Inverness. 6 days walking, 5 days camping.
I plotted a route out on Google Earth which included some of my favourite places to visit in the Cairngorms.

I recorded my progress as a set of videos:

Day 1 (Lairig an Laoigh)
Walked from Braemar to Ryovan bothy via the Lairig an Laoigh. Visited Bob Scott's bothy.
Wild camped at Ryvoan bothy.

Day 2 (East Highland Way)
Walked from Ryvoan bothy to Tromie Meadow near Kingussie, passed around Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilein.
Visited Drakes bothy. Wild camped by the River Tromie on the Badenoch Way.

Day 3 (Glen Banchor)
Walked from Kingussie to Laggan passing around Newtonmore and through Glen Banchor. Stopped for a break at Dalnashallag bothy , Wild camped by the River Spey, some miles past Laggan.

Day 4 (Corrieyairack)
Walked from Spey dam, River Spey to Fort Augustus on the Corrieyairack Pass visiting Blackburn bothy en-route.
Camped at Cumberlands campsite at Fort Augustus.

Day 5 (The Great Glen)
Walked from Fort Augustus to Invermoriston via Great Glen Way high route. Got bus to Drumnadrochit due to lack of time. Walked from Drumnadrochit to Abriachan Eco-Cafe Campsite. Stayed at campsite.

Day 6 (Highland Life)
Walked the last 10 miles to Inverness, got bus home. I only skipped a 14 mile section from Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit to be able to stay at the Eco-campsite and make it to Inverness on Sunday.

andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland