walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lairig an Laoigh to Ryvoan bothy

Lairig an Laoigh to Ryvoan bothy

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:24 am

Route description: Lairig an Laoigh

Date walked: 23/08/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 696m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Lairig an Laoigh, like the Lairig Ghru, links Speyside with Deeside, but this more easterly pass is far less known than its higher neighbour. The mountain scenery is perhaps slightly less dramatic but it provides a fine through-walk with pinewoods, bleak moorlands, river crossings. The two routes can be combined, with a wild-camp or stay in a bothy, to make a magnificent circuit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started from Braemar just after half past 10 in the morning after catching an early bus from Aberdeen.

I walked about 5 miles out to Lui Water through the grounds of Mar Lodge estate, adding an extra hour to the total journey. I popped into Bob Scotts bothy on my way then made my way past Derry Lodge to Glen Derry and onto the path of the Lairig an Laoigh.

I soon had to wade through the fords of Avon, where I took a rest at the Fords of Avon refuge hut before pressing on, over the hills to descend into the Speyside. I arrived at Ryvoan bothy around 8pm then pitched the tent before heading inside to cook away from the midges. I had the bothy to myself but didn't want to stay inside it due to mice. I recorded a video of the adventure which is part of a series I made over 4 days.

andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Lairig an Laoigh to Ryvoan bothy

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Oh dear ~ learn to pronounce the place-names young man!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 am

I stopped watching when that music kicked in.

I rather enjoyed dipping my feet in the Avon when I visited :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Don_Draper » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 am

Cracking video Andrew, couldn’t stop laughing at the noises when you were putting your rucksack back on at Bobs.😂😂😂😂Subscribed to your channel
Don_Draper
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland