walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - Ptarmigan Ascent

Ben Lomond - Ptarmigan Ascent

Postby PrincessH » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/09/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 974m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done Ben Lomond for the first time last month using the tourist route, I decided to go up Ptarmigan ridge route this time. Mr. google was not very helpful in finding me a detailed report about this route, I decided to go up and then do a report myself. Hopefully this will help people who are interested in going up Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan.

Left Rowardennan Tourist Information Centre, I turned immediate left on to a dirt track.

10 minutes into the walk, you will see the sign

DSCF0001.JPG

Well, follow the sign for another 2 to 3 minutes, you should see this,
DSCF0038.JPG

This photo was taken after I got back, since I was so lost trying to follow someone's recommendation of 'going from the back of the youth hostel'...well, 20 minutes was wasted doing that.

There's some very kind person put a sign up beside the purple board, which I didn't see until I got back round second time
DSCF0039.JPG

If you see the sign above, there's nothing more to say, it's pretty much straightforward, do what the sign says and follow the path.

Waterfall not far from the start of the walk
DSCF0003.JPG

And this is a typical image of the lower path
DSCF0005.JPG

When I started, it was cool and quite hazy near the ground, so not much of a view. It is a shame, since I heard it's a great view going up this way.
DSCF0006.JPG

And then the path continues...
DSCF0008.JPG

The path is a steady, somewhere steep way up, not many places for flat walk, so be prepared for sore legs if you are not used to it.
DSCF0009.JPG

As I went up, the mist has settling in, since I was on my own(haven't met anyone yet), and still not much a map reader, I started to think about alternatives...and then there came Frank. Well, after I introduced myself and asked if I could walk along with him, he was very kindly said yes.
DSCF0011.JPG

He was up Ben Lomond twice last week, and a lot fitter than me, so I had to say to him to leave me behind, but by this time, the sun was shining. At least now I have my shadows as my companion. :)
DSCF0013.JPG

An hour and bit into the walk, I saw the summit.
DSCF0016.JPG

And as it got closer, it didn't diminish in size
DSCF0017.JPG

I started to like false summits, at least you get there quick...but this walk towards the summit did drag a bit. Well, I could see it, it's there, it's just not getting any closer.
DSCF0020.JPG

Some pretty rock pool on the way
DSCF0018.JPG

Well, after another half an hour, the sun's really shining, feels like Jesus should come out of that.
DSCF0022.JPG

The last bit of the climb was easy scrambling, I was happy that I was going up instead of coming down.
DSCF0026.JPG

When you are in the most undignified position - aka, all fours, there's always someone watching
DSCF0027.JPG

There you go, the top. It was an anti climax somehow, aren't all things? Happy I was at the top though. The wind picked up fairly strongly, had to rescue my hat a couple of times.
DSCF0028.JPG

I didn't stay up at the top for long, spoke to a couple of hill walkers, and came down using the tourist route.
On the way back
DSCF0030.JPG

If you are coming up the tourist route, that's what you should see
DSCF0034.JPG

Nearly back down, at this point, the mist has gone, both Ptarmigan and Ben Lomond is easy to see.
DSCF0036.JPG

Had my lunch on the beach near the car park, put my tired feet into cool water, my day was complete!
DSCF0043.JPG
PrincessH

Munros:183   Corbetts:18
Donalds:3

Re: Ben Lomond - Ptarmigan Ascent

Postby Alan S » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Good 1st report there with some cracking pics 8)
Ive done Ben Lomond twice but in the opposite direction,i really fancy another trip there soon maybe i will try it this way :)

Cheers
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Lomond - Ptarmigan Ascent

Postby walk aboot » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:10 pm

I don't suppose there are many route guides available for starting the walk from the Ptarmigan ridge end :think: ...thanks for posting P-H, I've only ever walked down the ptarmigan ridge so haven't given much thought to the route in reverse.

Last time I walked Ben Lomond, mountain bikers were hauling their bikes up the scrambly bit to cycle down the other side (got a great photo off them but it's on my PC at work :? ).
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland