walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last Donald - Cairnsmore of Fleet

Last Donald - Cairnsmore of Fleet

Postby Mountaineer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Route description: Cairnsmore of Fleet, near Newton Stewart

Fionas included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Date walked: 22/01/2017

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having met my longstanding hill-walking buddy Terence in Newton Stewart for a curry and beer the night before, we were looking forward to rising to the excellent weather than had been forecast. Sadly, however, there was heavy cloud in all directions including a great splodge of the stuff attached to the summit of Cairnmore of Fleet. So much for a cracking view for my final Donald!

Parking at the signposted parking area near Muirfad on the A75, we followed the driveway towards and then right of Cairnsmore before cutting through a boggy path though woodland and Rhododendron to join a farm track heading north. This ended at a gate where a path continued diagonally across a field to reach another gate into forest, the path - boggy at times - continuing up though this for another 1500m before emerging onto open hillside north of Crammery Hill. We stopped for a bite to eat at a gate from where the path continued upwards onto the SW shoulder of Cairnsmore of Fleet, before disappearing into cloud.

Continuing up into the cloud, we met two parties in descent, but with dogs, and I enthusiastically chirped to both that their timing was terrible as the cloud was about to lift - and I was mocked for my trouble. Arriving soon thereafter at clagged-in and baltic summit, it did seem that my optimism had been misplaced. A drop of fizz and a slice of cake later though, low and behold did the cloud break - certainly enough to give a view at least - though it clouded in again quickly thereafter and stayed that way. The mountain gods clearly approved of something.

And so, 35 years, 6 months and 25 days after ascending my first Donald, Windy Gyle (not that there were actually anything called Donald in 1982 I think); that was it! Did I have any words of knowledge or experience as may be expected on such an auspicious occasion? 'Lets get the hell down, its bloody freezing' was about as good as it got.
Attachments
IMG_2902.jpeg
35 years, 6 Months and 25 days after Windy Gyle. No view on Donald number one either as I recall. Mind you, I have had some fantastic views from many of the intervening 87!
IMG_2905.jpeg
A drop of fizz, but no problems here with the new alcohol consumption guidelines.
IMG_2903.jpeg
Terence and I at the summit. My fiend of pushing 50 years has now been on my last Munro, Corbett and Donald. Better find something to do to keep us going for the next half century.
IMG_2910.jpeg
Wow, what a cracking view that is! To think I was mocked.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mountaineer
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:218   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Last Donald - Cairnsmore of Fleet

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Mountaineer wrote: 'Lets get the hell down, its bloody freezing' was about as good as it got.

I think that's the nature of Donald completions. Having done the other three rounds with precious little ceremony, I imagine that there will be little singing and dancing if and when we ever do manage the Donalds....maybe a pot of tea for two all to myself as with the Munros. But, as I keep saying, I'm not really bagging them, just going with husband.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Many congrats :clap: :clap:
Nice easy Donald to finish on :lol: one of the few with a good path :wink:
Hope to polish off the remaining few by the summer too :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Congratulations and well done :clap: :clap: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JaneAyr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Congratulations! :clap:
At the rate I'm going I reckon it'll take me several decades to finish them too - and I haven't got the excuse of doing lots of bigger ones in between! :)
JaneAyr
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   Donalds:34+11
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:51   Islands:2

Postby McMole » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:59 am

Well done and you even saved a tussockless ascent for your final Donald :clap: :clap:
(not that there were actually anything called Donald in 1982 I think)

My first copy of Munro's Tables is the revised 1953 edition published in 1969 and includes Percy Donald's list of the 2000-feet Hills in the Lowlands with 86 hills and 133 tops. The foreword implies that Percy's list was in the 1953 edition, but there is no mention of when the list first appeared. I can't find anything on-line either. Can any mountaineering historian supply the year?
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am

Congratulations on the round - good effort. The Donalds is actually the second-oldest of the main Scottish hill lists - first published in the SMC Journal in 1935 and subsequently in the "lesser heights" section of Munro's Tables, as McMole says. The list of Corbetts wasn't published (at least not in its modern form) until 1952. Munros first appeared in 1891, of course.

There is a list of Donald completers - I've researched and maintained such a thing since the mid-1990s - but it hasn't always been online. It has at times, it isn't at present, but it should soon be back available again (within the next couple of months). There's some Donaldist data to be found on the SMC website, but note that this only records Donaldists who have also climbed all the Munros, and unlike Munros/Corbetts there's a hefty non-overlap between Munros/Donalds. I currently know of 215 Donaldists - well, 216 now with you added - but as ever with these things there are plenty more than that. A reasonable estimate might be 500, but it's hard to know. Percy Donald himself (who died relatively young on the hills near Tyndrum in September 1938) was the first to complete, finishing with Blackcraig on 28 May 1933. He worked through the list as an actual "round", ie although he'd climbed what became Donalds much earlier (the first I know of for him was a Rhinns of Kells outing in April 1922), he did the 133 summits that were in the list at the time in the space of 167 days, requiring 27 days out. (He worked out that this came to 2s 9d per main hill, 1s 10d per subsidiary top.) He also spent a further six days "clearing up points of doubt". Note that the Artney group wasn't in the list at that stage - it was my fault that those hills were added, as I wrote a piece for TGO in the mid-1990s (1994, I think) pointing out that they were just south of the Highland Line and hence qualified, and in due course the SMC picked up on this and added them to the list.

The second known completion is that by the much-missed Ken Andrew who finished with White Shank on 1 November 1969, but there were almost certainly some finishes in that 36-year gap. John Dow (1881-1972) - the fifth listed Munroist and a friend of Donald - came close but appears to have ended about nine hills short. A journalist named Henry Truckell (1880-1967) also appears to have come close to completion - he certainly wrote a lot about the hills in question. The highest number of rounds appears to be four, by Colin Crawford, with several other people having been round two or three times. Your own finishing hill is one of the more popular for such things - that's the sixth finish I know for Cairnsmore of Fleet (and there been nine on the adjacent Knee of Cairnsmore and three on Meikle Mulltaggart, so at least 18 for that cluster generally). Most popular actual finishing summit however is, as almost always, one of the outliers: Cauldcleuch Head (15). Again, all these figures are minimum ones.

I'd be keen to add you to the list, so if you're up for that please mail me via the site with your real name and where you live ie city/town/village. Working backwards from what you say, was your Windy Gyle ascent on 28 June 1981? 35 and a half years is a very civilised timespan for completing a list.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland