walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Postby litljortindan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Date walked: 05/02/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 470m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Apologies for the singing!

Wanted to climb Ben Hee but mostly wanted to see the view over Bealach nam Meirleach to Ben Hope and Ben Loyal which is just as well. When I got to the CadhaMor viewpoint above Bonar Bridge I thought oh no, another duff weather forecast as there was a lot more cloud than expected. However, as I reached Loch Merkland some glimmers of blue skies and white capped peaks were evident but still mostly also cloud capped peaks. It was 11am and an improvement was forecast for 2pm so I was still quite optimistic despite the cloud draped over Hee's slopes.
Even more optimistic as I set off up the Bealach nam Meirleach road with clear snowy tops off to the west and north, under a mainly blue sky. Surely only a matter of time then until Ben Hee cleared.
I cached a bottle of water at the path turn off and set off along the narrow ascent path. A wee bit squelchy but not too bad though the eroded parts are a bit of a pain.
Tried out my water filter/straw at a pool along the way and had a more successful experience than last time out. Still not too easy to get water out of the damn thing but good for emergencies I think.
Fed up at the prospect of trudging in soft snow along a clearly non-clearing, cloudy top I decided to cut off north to Sail Gharbh and this was fine until I hit the boulders near the top which were really treacherous with all the gaps filled up with soft snow. I easily persuaded myself then to cut the day short and just head over to nearest possible viewpoint for Bealach nam Meirleach. Once I'd made that decision I started enjoying the day again. Very impressive view north to Bens Hope and Loyal.
Then wandered up to the 582m top and was pleased to see that Ben Hee was still clouded over; I hadn't made a hasty bad choice. Easy walk back down to the car.

ImageDSCN0274 by John Little, on Flickr
the road up to Bealach nam Meirleach

ImageDSCN0275 by John Little, on Flickr
A' Ghlaise

ImageDSCN0281 by John Little, on Flickr
looking back down the road with the crags of Meall an Fheur Loch top right

ImageDSCN0290 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Stack

ImageDSCN0304 by John Little, on Flickr
A' Ghlaise

ImageDSCN0307 by John Little, on Flickr
view over Bealach nam Meirleach with Ben Hope and Ben Loyal on the horizon and the northern slopes of Ben Hee to the right

ImageDSCN0312 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Hope

ImageDSCN0317 by John Little, on Flickr
A' Ghlaise

ImageDSCN0323 by John Little, on Flickr
heading up to the 582m top

ImageDSCN0326 by John Little, on Flickr
Loyal again

ImageDSCN0327 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0329 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0330 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0331 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0334 by John Little, on Flickr
not so clear to the south

ImageDSCN0337 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0338 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0339 by John Little, on Flickr
my Darth Sidious impersonation

ImageDSCN0341 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0342 by John Little, on Flickr
A' Ghlaise

ImageDSCN0347 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0348 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0352 by John Little, on Flickr
must have had a fair few enquiries

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: 406348

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Looks a bit sunnier than the couple of shots you posted on Facebook :) . I didn't think anyone would annoy me with decent weather from Sunday, but you're coming close! fortunately I had no intention of driving that far, so wouldn't have gone up that way anyway.

Nice area - need to go back again and explore Ben Hee a bit more.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:268
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Postby litljortindan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 pm

malky_c wrote:Looks a bit sunnier than the couple of shots you posted on Facebook :) . I didn't think anyone would annoy me with decent weather from Sunday, but you're coming close! fortunately I had no intention of driving that far, so wouldn't have gone up that way anyway.

Nice area - need to go back again and explore Ben Hee a bit more.

I was delighted to get a bit of sunshine. Looked a bit of pot luck elsewhere -some tops clearish all day and some seeming to cling on to their cloud caps. Started raining soon after I got back to the car. Really only Ben Stack that looked convincingly clear throughout from what I saw.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:17 am

Some pretty fine views after all - Ben Stack looks phenomenal - I'd never even heard of it ... :(

It looks like it might have been pretty chilly, though... :shock:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:100   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:47 am

At least there was sun SOMEWHERE :lol: Lovely shots of Loch an t-Seilg. We went north as well, to climb one of Ullapool Grahams, but we were still under the grey cloud, should have driven further up :wink:

We have the two Grahams next to Hee on our shortlist for spring. Is it still hard to find parking space in West Merkland? I remember there was some space (for 1 car) by the forest gate just west of the farm, and other than that, just blocking passing places...

We never saw summit views from Ben Hee, either and I'd love to repeat this hill on a good day. The best way to avoid the boulders on ascent is to follow the stream all the way to its springs, then the final easy slopes to the summit :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 am

BlackPanther wrote:We have the two Grahams next to Hee on our shortlist for spring. Is it still hard to find parking space in West Merkland? I remember there was some space (for 1 car) by the forest gate just west of the farm, and other than that, just blocking passing places...

I'm sure we parked in an old quarry further east, but it looks like this is now gated off. There seems to be a large parking area about 1km to the west (at about NC374332) https://goo.gl/maps/qYeca3cFe6K2. It's a nice day out!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:43   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some pretty fine views after all - Ben Stack looks phenomenal - I'd never even heard of it ... :(

It looks like it might have been pretty chilly, though... :shock:

Ben Stack is a great hill I think. Temperature not bad where I was until I got to the highest points where it was cold in the wind. Quite cosy on the ways up and down.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:41 pm

BlackPanther wrote:At least there was sun SOMEWHERE :lol: Lovely shots of Loch an t-Seilg. We went north as well, to climb one of Ullapool Grahams, but we were still under the grey cloud, should have driven further up :wink:

We have the two Grahams next to Hee on our shortlist for spring. Is it still hard to find parking space in West Merkland? I remember there was some space (for 1 car) by the forest gate just west of the farm, and other than that, just blocking passing places...

We never saw summit views from Ben Hee, either and I'd love to repeat this hill on a good day. The best way to avoid the boulders on ascent is to follow the stream all the way to its springs, then the final easy slopes to the summit :D

Yes, I parked at that same spot -maybe room for two wee cars at a pinch, one either side of the gate. Thanks for the route tip!
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 pm

jmarkb wrote:
BlackPanther wrote:We have the two Grahams next to Hee on our shortlist for spring. Is it still hard to find parking space in West Merkland? I remember there was some space (for 1 car) by the forest gate just west of the farm, and other than that, just blocking passing places...

I'm sure we parked in an old quarry further east, but it looks like this is now gated off. There seems to be a large parking area about 1km to the west (at about NC374332) https://goo.gl/maps/qYeca3cFe6K2. It's a nice day out!

Must admit I didn't think too much about the parking beforehand but it will generally be a problem for Ben Hee & co. Apart from cycling in from elsewhere another feasible looking option is the track in from the minor road to the north east which looks like it has a huge amount of space at the junction.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland