walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach nan coirean

Mullach nan coirean

Postby Coop » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean

Date walked: 09/02/2017

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had done stob ban in November in the snow but never carried on round to mullach nan coirean as their were no views and the weather wasn't the best.
Headed back up this way today
Weather was to be dry with maybe the odd snow flurry and a SE wind.
No snow flurries ( snow swirling on the summit) and the wind was err - rather windy.
Good wee path through the forest up to the track. Round this to a wee cairn then up another path to the stile.
I basically followed the right side of the gully before going across the stream and up to the ridge. You could turn left after the stile and follow the fence line up to the main ridge.
Fantastic views all round with all the tops covered in snow from about 600 m up. The Ben looking great with a wee covering of cloud on its summit.
Reached the summit. Good pull up through the frozen rocks and snow.
Stupidly took a glove off to get my phone out and take some pics. Hand nearly froze solid after a minute.
Didn't stay long and headed back down - carefully in the wind- following the fence line.
As the lad I met on the descent said " that was brutal up there eh"
Usual stops on the way back through Glencoe to admire the sights.
Fantastic walk and day
Cap doffed to mullach nan coirean
Cheers
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:113
Grahams:48   Donalds:72
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland