walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown about on Beinn a' Bheithir

Blown about on Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby mamoset » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 13/02/2017

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1250m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off nice and early for Glen Coe to make the most of the proposed decent weather, the 2 Munro's of Beinn a' Bhethir my choice for today. As the WH route for these mentions boggy wet ground, i decided to take the route from South Ballachulish and make direct for the bealach between them.
IMG_0003.JPG
Looks like i'm on the right track.
I followed the track for a couple of miles, until i came to a little cairn marking the path up through the trees.
IMG_0006.JPG
Rocky outcrop on Coire Sgreamach.
I exited the trees and made for the fence line, where there is a sort of path.
IMG_0013.JPG
Ridge leading up to Sgorr Dhonuill.
The snow in the valley was fairly soft as it was quite warm and calm in here; that was to change at the bealach :shock:
IMG_0014.JPG
The route to the bealach.
IMG_0015.JPG
Looking back.
As height was gained, under foot conditions became a bit icy, so i stopped to put on my spikes. While doing this a really strong gust of wind shot down the glen, blowing my pack, gloves and map back down where i had just climbed :thumbdown: :shock: I retrieved my pack and gloves but the map was gone :( A bit miffed, i continued on to the bealach, where the wind appeared with surprising ferocity.
IMG_0019.JPG
From the bealach.
IMG_0020.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg from the bealach.
As Sgorr Dhearg was cloud covered, i headed up Sgorr Dhonuill first. This is a straightforward climb, only made difficult by the wind. Strangely, it wasn't cold, but it's strength was something i hadn't experienced in a long time.
IMG_0029.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill.
I pushed on and soon reached the summit, where, weirdly, the wind disappeared!!!
IMG_0033.JPG
Nearly there!!
IMG_0039.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill summit.
IMG_0036.JPG
Coire Dearg ridge from Sgorr Dhonuill.
After a bit of a respite from the wind, i headed back down to the bealach, to begin the ascent of Sgorr Dhearg.
IMG_0046.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg clear of cloud now.
Had a chat with 3 walkers near the bealach, who said the wind up and on Sgorr Dhearg was worse than Dhonuill :shock: They weren't wrong. The ascent here felt twice as long as the constant buffeting was intense.
IMG_0048.JPG
Looking to Sgorr Dhonuill and it's ridge.
IMG_0049.JPG
Fraochaidh.
IMG_0058.JPG
Bidean.
I finally reached the summit where i danced a bit to keep my footing while trying to take a pic of the cairn :lol:
IMG_0063.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg summit.
IMG_0065.JPG
Across to Sgorr Dhonuill.
It was a lot quicker going down than up, with the wind ably assisting, and all that was left was to follow my route up and make for the car.
IMG_0076.JPG
The ridge to Dhonuill reminded me of Striding Edge.
IMG_0086.JPG
The Pap from South Ballachulish.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Blown about on Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby teaandpies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Nice. I've been told to do these hills in clear conditions because of the views. I'll be waiting for that 1 week a year when we get sunny weather :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby mamoset » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 pm

teaandpies wrote:Nice. I've been told to do these hills in clear conditions because of the views. I'll be waiting for that 1 week a year when we get sunny weather :lol:

Cheers :D unfortunately for me, the cloud blocked out the distant views, so good luck with that week you're hoping for :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Nice one mamoset. Sgorr Dhonuill looks pretty good in that photo. I've done a similar route to yours. I don't think that old route up through the trees gets used much nowadays.
Sunset tripper

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Cracking day for it :thumbup: Can remember my camera stopped working early on the way up these hills I think due to the cold/condensation and had to use the camera on my rather basic phone :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 pm

A nice hill that one mamoset. I'm glad you got the views you did. A pity about the wind, but at least it wasn't too bad on the first summit. My ascent in 2015 was similar to yours, but I came down Sgorr Dhearg's north ridge, which was fine until the final battle through the forestry.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one mamoset. Sgorr Dhonuill looks pretty good in that photo. I've done a similar route to yours. I don't think that old route up through the trees gets used much nowadays.

Hi ST, this route is probably easier than the WH route though :lol:
rockhopper wrote:Cracking day for it :thumbup: Can remember my camera stopped working early on the way up these hills I think due to the cold/condensation and had to use the camera on my rather basic phone :roll: - cheers :)

Thanks RH, that's bad luck, camera conking out is my worst nightmare :shock:
simon-b wrote:A nice hill that one mamoset. I'm glad you got the views you did. A pity about the wind, but at least it wasn't too bad on the first summit. My ascent in 2015 was similar to yours, but I came down Sgorr Dhearg's north ridge, which was fine until the final battle through the forestry.

Hey simon, i had planned on going down the same way as you, but i was knackered at the summit and chose the easy way out haha :?
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Jaxter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 pm

You did this the day after me, looks like the conditions were similar :lol: think it's a much more interesting route to do as a horseshoe though, I hate out and back routes :wink: it's such a nice walk though
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby mamoset » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

Jaxter wrote:You did this the day after me, looks like the conditions were similar :lol: think it's a much more interesting route to do as a horseshoe though, I hate out and back routes :wink: it's such a nice walk though

I totally agree with the out & back routes, sometimes though, needs must :shock: Looks like you got the better views than me too!!! 8)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am

Good effort in those high winds mamoset. :clap: Pity about your map though! :(
Fine looking peaks those two, especially with a covering of snow, as your photos show.

It's a shame about the dense forestry on the approach but it's nice to emerge into the open corrie. I always think Beinn a' Bheithir has a hint of the Canadian Rockies about it when seen across Loch Leven. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:34 pm

dav2930 wrote:Good effort in those high winds mamoset. :clap: Pity about your map though! :(
Fine looking peaks those two, especially with a covering of snow, as your photos show.

It's a shame about the dense forestry on the approach but it's nice to emerge into the open corrie. I always think Beinn a' Bheithir has a hint of the Canadian Rockies about it when seen across Loch Leven. :)

Thanks dav. Fortunately, they are on with clearing the trees so it should look better in the next year or two :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 am

Nice one :thumbup: . I love the pic of Bidean.

I've looked at these from time to time. They look pretty characterful, but I've been a bit put off by the talk of bogs. As I'm learning, the trick is to go to such places when it's really cold!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mamoset » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 am

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one :thumbup: . I love the pic of Bidean.

I've looked at these from time to time. They look pretty characterful, but I've been a bit put off by the talk of bogs. As I'm learning, the trick is to go to such places when it's really cold!

Cheers AK, we are never too old to learn :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland