walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh via Beautiful Glen Orchy

Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh via Beautiful Glen Orchy

Postby roscoT » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh, from Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

Date walked: 11/02/2017

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 798m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

bmm.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was looking for something a bit 'off the beaten track' and, given I had walking planned the following day in what looked like more difficult conditions, not overly strenuous. West seemed best in the forecast, so I headed up early to the as yet unexplored (for me) Glen Orchy with a chill in the air and cloud lifting.

Arrived at the empty car park (didn't see another soul all day) after a lovely wee drive along the glen and set off to cross the River Orchy at the Eas Urchaidh falls.

ImageIMG_3393 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageFalls by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Followed a slowly ascending track through the forest and started to feel the weight of the previous week's stresses lift off of my shoulders. WH had said the approach was peaceful, which had sealed it as the day's choice, and so it proved - a stillness hung in the air, punctuated by the odd bird call and creaking of a pine tree. After a mile or so, a right turn is taken over a bridge, which follows the burn for a short time, before following a deer fence beside the remnants of caledonian pine (which can only really be seen in the distance). Views left to Beinn na Sroine, Beinn Eunaich and, later, back to the majestic Lui range opened up.

ImageIMG_3400 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageBeinn na Sroine and pinewood by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3411 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageBeinn Eunaich by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Once out of the forest, a gate gives access to the open hillside, which looked fairly steep from the bottom. WH says there is no path, but I did find one to follow to the snowline, after which there were feint footsteps (presumably belonging to a walker the previous day) which I followed for a while before losing. The wind and snow depth picked up significantly as I gained height, with spindrift stinging my face.

ImageIMG_3419 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageBen Lui by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3423 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageGlen Orchy by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageLoch Awe by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3433 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

A bit of route finding was necessary on approach to the summit plateau to avoid the deep snow holes - which I failed at admirably! No matter. A left is taken once the plateau is reached, and the full force of the windchill was now in effect. 5 minutes later, the summit cairn was visible in the distance, which I reached and took a few photos - great views and colours, but not the kind of weather you want to hang about in - lunch could wait until I was a bit lower down. The cruachan group and the less-seen backs of the black mount and glencoe ski hills offered the best views.

ImageIMG_3438 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagesummit and cruachan range by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3441 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3445 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImagePaps of Jura by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

I started back the way I came, eager to stay warm, and descended through increasing spindrift and winds. The top had cleared significantly as I looked back abut half way down.

ImageIMG_3449 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3453 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagespindrift and Tyndrum hills by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3458 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Once back in the forest, I had lunch before a relaxing stroll back to the car - the days exertions now behind me. Did a couple of guided meditations from my phone just to reinforce the sense of wellness - all was right with the world, and long, I hoped, may it remain :D

ImageIMG_3465 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3477 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Re: Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh via Beautiful Glen Orchy

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Somehow a very restful report and set of pics.

But I should be mad as hell! All the forecasts were poor, so we canned our planned half week in Glen Shiel, and did something low and much further south...

Given the lack of snow this year, I feel quite envious...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby teaandpies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Oooo I had a quick look at this hill and the 2 Corbetts on the other side before choosing my walk the other day.

It looks as if you might have spent as much time walking as you did driving to the location and back :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Graeme D » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Didn't look too promising at the start but you got a fine day out of it in the end. One of my worst hill days on that one though! :twisted:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby teaandpies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Graeme D wrote:Didn't look too promising at the start but you got a fine day out of it in the end. One of my worst hill days on that one though! :twisted:

I've read that report. It's gonna have to be totally freezing or weeks off drought before I'll be heading up that :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby roscoT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Somehow a very restful report and set of pics.

But I should be mad as hell! All the forecasts were poor, so we canned our planned half week in Glen Shiel, and did something low and much further south...

Given the lack of snow this year, I feel quite envious...

Gutter! Always remember - the hills will still be there for another time!

Yes it was a calm and peaceful walk, however very much the calm before the storm (of the next day's walking - report to follow...)
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 pm

teaandpies wrote:Oooo I had a quick look at this hill and the 2 Corbetts on the other side before choosing my walk the other day.

It looks as if you might have spent as much time walking as you did driving to the location and back :lol:

Haha, yeah fair point! Going to be making a concerted effort to take my in the coming months.

Saw your report from the orchy pair - looked....fun?
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Graeme D wrote:Didn't look too promising at the start but you got a fine day out of it in the end. One of my worst hill days on that one though! :twisted:

Yeah a really good half day. Will need to look up your report to know what to avoid!
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Does make for a nice walk and the signposts through the forest do come in handy - good to see you got some blue sky as well - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland