walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An educational canal walk

An educational canal walk

Postby desmondo1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Route description: Forth & Clyde Canal: Bowling to Maryhill

Date walked: 20/01/2017

Time taken: 3.56 hours

Distance: 21.42 km

Ascent: 143m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another leg of the Forth & Union canal today. I apologise for any confusion but I am doing these in stages so the the blog can go east to west and vice versa depending on my travel arrangements.
IMG_4173.JPG

View from Bowling Station
Public transport today so a train from Barassie to Glasgow, then to Partick and finally another one to Bowling. Left the house at 8.50 and started walking at 10.35. I must say the train stock from Glasgow central was some of the oldest trains I have been in.
The normal route goes from Bowling to Stockfield Junction before heading towards Kilsyth but today I followed the spur into Glasgow onto Spiers Wharf. According to the 'Walkhighlands' site the walk is around 9.75 miles. But today because I started at Bowling railway station and finished at Speirs Wharf my actual walking was 15.31 miles, no wonder my legs were tiring.
IMG_4174.JPG

By definition a canal walk is alongside a calm and non moving piece of water and could potentially be quite boring. For me it is the journey and although I know Glasgow I have never experienced it like this. I come across new, to me anyway, local history which helps expand the mind.
IMG_4192.JPG

Cycle map but it shows the route
Today is principally an inner city walk traversing outside greater Glasgow's western flanks, heading north and finishing not far from the city centre. Although it is a city walk I was very surprised at how tranquil it was for much of the trip. Also, relatively few people on the path, it was a Friday and a school day but still? These canal paths are underused and sadly so is the water, not one vessel moving on the canal today.
IMG_4177.JPG

The start at Bowling
As mentioned I started at Bowling station and as such I had a 1/2 mile walk to the canal basin. There is a cafe/takeaway shop in Bowling and a cafe at the canal basin if you want refreshments. Plus there are loos at the basin. A warning this is city walking and not many spots to take a toilet break if required.
This opening stretch to Clydebank is the slightly rural stretch, hills to the left but not much viewing too the left. Soon walking under the Erskine bridge. I have driven across this so many times it is a highlight to get this view from below.
At Clydebank the canal and a shopping centre merge, footbridge across the canal, apparently it goes smoothly when boats come through. More opportunity here for a rest and/or food and drink.
IMG_4195.JPG

The drop lock
Just before the shopping centre is an engineering achievement a drop lock, the only example of its kind in Europe. Its purpose is too allow canal traffic to travel underneath the busy road, see even more history.
20170120_114235.jpg

Also just before the shopping centre is the Beardmore sculpture, a historically important site to the community, up to 13000 people worked at the naval shipyards. The ship in the structure is the dreadnought battleship HMS Ramillies which was built here.
I'm afraid the next stretch shows our population at its worst as behind the back garden of almost every house they have tossed all sorts of garbage, to be collected by who, very sad?
IMG_4208.JPG

Not a lot happening until approaching Kelvinside and Maryhill locks. A double gas storage cylinder, don't see many of them these days, I presume these are unused now.
IMG_4212.JPG

Maryhill locks
Then then canal crosses the Kelvin aqueduct, when built this structure was the biggest aqueduct in the UK. Walkers in that era could see ocean sailing boats passing above them.
It is worth spending a few minutes at Maryhill locks, 5 gates with a large pool at each to allow boats to pass each other. Also there is some interesting street art on a nearby tenement.
20170120_134559.jpg

The split
Shortly thereafter the canal splits at Stockingfield junction and this is where I will start my next leg heading to Kilsyth. However, today I am continuing into Glasgow centre so my route is no diversion just continue along the footpath.
20170120_141554.jpg

Walking on through the Maryhill district you pass Firhill stadium, home of Partick Thistle. There are bright lights on the machine sitting on the turf, I presume some fancy grass growing technique.
20170120_135840.jpg

The journey is almost at and end. Good views looking over south and west Glasgow from this height. Plenty of new housing built in this area and journey's end has an old industrial unit converted into flats across the canal.
This is Speirs Wharf and the end of the walk today.
IMG_4221.JPG

I come across a scenic footbridge going over the canal, very pretty in the surroundings.

With a few detours I have covered almost 15 miles in around 4 hours. It has been a busy walking week and the legs are feeling it. Time for a pint and then a train home.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: An educational canal walk

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Nice. I haven't walked it but I have cycled it and I have kayaked various sections.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks Marty when the clock changes I intend to cycle the full length west to east in one go. Just need to pick a nice day. At least I will know where the cafes and shops are for my energy boosts.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby Colind4 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Interesting to see the Beardmore memorial again. I was staying in that area several years ago and was saddened to se the Beardmore war memorial had just be set into the ground slightly irregularly - near the river I think. I really deserves a plinth and some more respect!
Nice description!
Colind4
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland