walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No views from up top but 29 quid well spent

No views from up top but 29 quid well spent

Postby Coop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaibhre and Càrn Dearg from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 22/02/2017

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 973m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only one to get off the train at 0900. Suited me today.
Famous last words from the train conductor-" you'll get back in plenty time for the 1825, it's a good clear day."
He was 50% right!!
Good track all the way up to "Peters rock"- just remember to get on the higher path at the split!.
Just a case of heading straight up hill on pathless wet ground. Wee bit rockier on the way round to the huge cairn. Fairly impressive cairn and no views. Mist was down and it started to rain.
Good path most of the way down to the boggy beallach. Waterproof bottoms and bergan cover were on by now.
Headed up to the cairn on Sgor gaibhre where the wind really picked up. Wasn't hanging around. Still some big pockets of snow dotted around.
Knew I had to kept away from the rockier east side on the descent and wasn't going over the other top either so it was NW and down.
Boggy and wet all the way down and I saw the forest and Loch come into view. Headed for the corner of the forest and didn't see any gate so it was over- carefully- the 7ft fence and round to the river. Forded this and went over the bridge and round the north side. Had a look at the " hunting lodge " i couldn't make up my mind if it was a beautiful piece of modern architecture or an eyesore- although it is quite hidden somewhat.
The rain had stopped by now and I was enjoying the walk along the loch side. Reached the cattle grid and thought for a brief millisecond about heading up to beinn na lap. I was enjoying the day and said to myself that I actually wanted to come back here so I headed on.
And my legs were tired and the rain came back on :D
Nearing the "train station" i passed 5 or 6 heading down to the youth hostel. I had checked online about spaces overnight here and it was fully booked. Reckon they must have booked it as a group.
Was looking forward to sitting down in a comfy chair in the station house, beside a log fire, having a coffee and a bite to eat; whilst waiting for the train at 1825.

WRONG

SHUT!!

ah well , into the wee shelter on the platform and wait for over 2 hours.
Train arrived on time thankfully and I had the head torch on making sure he saw me standing there.
The ascent, the descent and the walk along the loch made it an enjoyable day.
As stated at the start; the conductor was 50% right. I made it back no probs for the train, however it wasn't a dry clear day.

Think I'll be going over to chno dearg next month so may look into a route to beinn na lap that way.

Edit: - they say size isn't everything. Very true in the case of Leum Uilleim which looks very impressive compared to beinn na lap. Hey ho, it is what it is.

Cap doffed to Carn dearg and sgor gaibhre
Cheers
Last edited by Coop on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: No views from up top but 29 quid well spent

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Sounds like you had a good day despite the weather. shame about the finish.
Bad enough when the pub is closed and you get no dinner when you are in the car, how much worse when you have a long cold wait at the station :( .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland