walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe – Grinding up the hydro track by bike

Beinn Bhuidhe – Grinding up the hydro track by bike

Postby pixelmix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 21/02/2017

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 750m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BeinnBhuidheMap.jpg

A quick post to share the track that isn’t yet on the OS map, but this is neither a walk, nor a day out which involved a munro top...

I have copied the text from my own website.

A work appointment in Dunoon this morning led to a 200mi round trip for a couple of hours of work, so the only sensible thing to do was take a half day and pack the FF29. Beinn Bhuidhe is the only munro in the “Arrochar Alps” area I have not yet climbed, but a look at the forecast convinced me that ticking off the summit today (on my own and in driving rain) would probably not be a sensible idea.

Instead, I decided to stick to the main track built for a recently constructed hydro scheme, and get some much needed riding in the legs, scoping out the route for a ride next time I have a work commitment down this way. This looks like a munro where the top section will be a steep walk, but I planned to just ride up and down the track this time round (and didn’t even bother packing the walking boots).

The track is pretty much as you would expect for hill tracks made for these kind of schemes – rough and steep. A couple of short pitches (about 70m of climbing at 450m) required walking, but the rest could be grunted up in a granny gear. Definitely not as rideable as the local climb up Ben Chonzie, but a lot quicker to get up (and down!) than walking the whole route in from the road. For going on to the summit, the usual walking path apparently crosses this track a bit before the point where I turned round, but I must have missed it when trying to keep my head down out of the rain. The track down over the side of Newton Hill is steeper, but works okay as a descent, and allows for a bit of variety on the return leg.

Given that the track is not yet plotted by Ordnance Survey, I have posted the GPX file on my own website for use when planning your own route.

Beinn Bhuidhe track explore - Wet and windy, so skipped walking to the top 001.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pixelmix

Munros:122   Corbetts:1

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe – Grinding up the hydro track by bike

Postby Coop » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I came back down this "track" in October.
Hopefully in years to come it blends in with the hillside rather than the rubble strewn, hacked out hillside mess I saw!
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe – Grinding up the hydro track by bike

Postby Ejg35 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Coop wrote:I came back down this "track" in October.
Hopefully in years to come it blends in with the hillside rather than the rubble strewn, hacked out hillside mess I saw!

A friend and I did this hill at the weekend and the track is very ugly and really horrible to walk down.
It amazes me what folk can do to our beautiful countryside yet my friend wants to put on a new front door on her wee terraced cottage but as she lives in a conservation area she has to pay a whack to get planning permission for it. Go figure....
Ejg35
Munro compleatist

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:47

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland