walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lunch on Ben Lomond

Lunch on Ben Lomond

Postby withypitts » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 01/06/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 990m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Is it alright to post walk reports a long time after the event? Here goes anyway.

A few years ago it occurred to me that, although I live in the south of England, it was easier to get to the Southern Highlands (via Gatwick Airport) than to the Lake District. With a bit of luck I could leave home in Sussex at around 7am and enjoy lunch half way up Ben Lomond. Here was the opportunity: a fine day in early June 2016.

Having stocked up in the Tesco at Glasgow Airport, I was at the Rowardennan car park by 1pm and set off up the Ptarmigan path in glorious weather. The bluebells were in full flower a month later than they had been in Sussex,
although the bracken seemed to be at about the same stage of development.

IMG_2394.JPG
Bluebells

Views across to the Cobbler and Beinn Nairnan soon opened up.

IMG_2395.JPG
Arrochar Alps

It was soon time for a lateish lunch overlooking Loch Lomond, as planned.

IMG_2396.JPG
Cheese Triple

After a while Ben Lui made an appearance in the distance.

IMG_2398.JPG
Ben Lui on the horizon

A monster rock with a fine backdrop marked the start of the final steep ascent.

IMG_2403.JPG
Large rock

When I arrived at about 5pm the summit was almost deserted, and the views were spectacular in all directions.

IMG_2404.JPG
Towards Ben More

The dramatic eastern corrie came into view as I set off back down on the main track.

IMG_2405.JPG
Eastern Corrie

The late afternoon descent on the main path was perfect, with none of the crowds I had heard about.

IMG_2406.JPG
Last glimpse of the summit

Who could ask for a finer day out in the June sunshine? It certainly makes a change from the South Downs.
withypitts
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:13
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:170
Wainwrights:96   

Re: Lunch on Ben Lomond

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Nice trip. Ben Lomond is one of the furthest munros from me. A great hill and doesn't deserve the bad press it sometimes gets. :D
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland