walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stair - Ayr River Ayr Xmas lethargy gone

Stair - Ayr River Ayr Xmas lethargy gone

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Route description: River Ayr Way 3: Stair to Ayr

Date walked: 28/12/2016

Time taken: 4.06 hours

Distance: 17.26 km

Ascent: 161m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_4032.JPG

This was to be my last outing for 2016, desperately needed to shake off the Xmas inertia and too much food and drink. I didn't want to travel too far so opted for the first leg of this long distance route, a new one for me. The River Ayr walk breaks down nicely into 3 similar stretches.
Today I began my walk at Stair, a lift required as the nearest public transport bus stop at least 2 miles away and headed in the direction of the sea. It is a walk that follows the river about 2/3rds of the way and disappointingly off river for about a third, presumably landowner difficulties the reason for leaving the confines of the river.
20161228_105233.jpg

River Ayr near Stair
With the prospects of a good weather forecast to keep me happy I left the hamlet of Stair and headed through a deserted farm track and soon along the riverbank. The first couple of miles is a straightforward and pleasant countryside river walk. A carpet of dead and decaying leaves gives for soft walking.
IMG_4010.JPG

The river alternating between fast and calm water with mergansers and dippers for company. On the right, up in the woods, you get sight of Enterkine house hotel, with a large marquee erected, wedding time I presume.
You now catch sight of the very impressive Enterkine rail viaduct built in 1872. It was originally built to transport coal from the pits as well as the Ayr to Cumnock passenger trains, and I believe an occasional goods train still crosses, but I have never seen one. Once under the viaduct the next bridge, Gadgirth, is in sight ( there are quite a few bridges on this walk). Across the water it looks like someone is doing work in the wood, I noticed it was up for sale, a wooden structure has been started, fisherman's stuff maybe?
20161228_104252.jpg

Enterkine Viaduct
Cross the road at the bridge and keeping to the same bank follow the river towards Annbank. This is a tranquil stretch but there a warning sign at the bridge indicating a dangerous path ahead! It is slightly open flanked at times, eroded and muddy in patches but not sure why dangerous. I presume someone has had an accident and Health & Safety got involved.
Now upon reaching Annbank, a mining village, you take the first diversion from the river. The route I am using (via Walk Highlands) leads through the village and on the very outskirts there should have been a sharp turn left heading back to the river at an old nursery. I missed this (maybe it has gone) and walked the road for half a mile before rejoining at the next bridge. I had not brought an OS map just using my notes, wrong again. 4g did work but did not show this old mill and showed me joining the river if I kept walking. In Annbank there is a small store if you want to buy some provisions, indeed the last one until Ayr.
IMG_4020.JPG

1st fallen tree
Go over the Tarholm bridge and you have now crossed to the other bank. The next warning sign I encounter is a 'no access to anyone due to giant hogweed'. I am not turning back so on I go and soon hit the boggiest, gloopiest, muddiest section with no option but to get through it. A couple of fallen trees make it even more interesting. Glad I had put on my gaiters.
IMG_4021.JPG

Wallace's seat
I am rather warm now, indeed sweating, so my middle layer goes in the rucksack. A mixture of warmer weather and effort. I stop at Wallace's view which is okay but seen better. An MTBiker comes towards me, the only person I have seen so far. Good luck to him with that stuff up ahead.
The track rises above the river, pleasant if routine forestry stuff. I can see Auchincruive estate buildings on the other bank. The guide indicates crossing a stile and go across a field but I choose to head down via the river. On a good low river day you can follow this lower track to Oswald bridge but it could be dangerous in high running water. To stay true to my guide I rejoined the field and wished I had not. It was clear horses or cattle roamed here (none visible but recent droppings were in evidence), their hooves creating many deep holes in the grass, not great walking. Plus, the upper plank of the stile crossing has been removed making for a very awkward clamber over a high barbed wire fence. I am sure a few folk would not make this.
20161228_123646.jpg

Green winter crop.
After crossing Oswald Bridge the next couple of miles takes you well away from the river, passing the college then following a straight cycle route to the A77. It is initially muddy but soon becomes tarmac. This is small homestead land, plenty of horses, kennels etc. But, I did get a close view of a yellowhammer, a rare sight to me these days.
IMG_4031.JPG

Underpass at A77
At the A77 go down under the road and the river is followed once again. This is now the outskirts of Ayr so expect plenty of dog walkers and just a lot more people. Cross the new bridge at Craigie campus and follow this bank into the historic town of Ayr. Quite a few more bridges on this stretch but don't cross until the very last one which is the end of the walk. This now gives you views of the open sea directly ahead as well as newish residential properties. A short walk down either bank takes you to the docks if you take northern bank or the beach area if you take the southerly one towards the newish flats, Head into the town proper for food, drink or transport homewards.
IMG_4041.JPG

Not a great day for wildlife but the sightings included: buzzards, heron, mergansers, goosanders, mallards, woodpecker, and all the common woodland birds and of course the yellowhammer.
IMG_4054.JPG

I enjoyed the walk, a fine day out, just over 4 hours of effort and 11.5 miles. The other two stretches will be completed next month.
It has been a good outdoor year so have a good one and here's to 2017's rambles.

Postscript:
I was disappointed at missing the turn at Annbank so I returned today to complete the walk and it was a good decision. The stretch I missed was just over a mile and a half almost wholly alongside the river. The water is an angler's dream with alternating calm pools and running water. This enhanced the environment as the tranquil surroundings are either calm with only birdsong to break the silence or the roar of fast running water even when the drops are minimal.
IMG_4067.JPG

At one point I came across this tree covered in Xmas baubles. No idea what the reason for these is.
IMG_4069-001.JPG

Little Egret
Then further on I caught sight of a white bird in the river. Got the binos out and I was both delighted and stunned to have seen this Little Egret. I have seen these abroad but to my fading memory not in Scotland, a great surprise. I only got a brief camera shot at distance so apologies for the quality.
So really glad I made the effort, one of the best stretches of the walk. An extra 1.5 miles.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Stair - Ayr River Ayr Xmas lethargy gone

Postby ridgerunner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Prestwick to Stair and back is a regular mountain bike circuit for me so i know it well.
You were fortunate that you missed the official start of the walk from Stair. It goes 0.2 mile NW up the B730 then turns onto a path skirting woods before heading back to the river along a path that is usually 6 inches under water past month. Up to my disc brakes.
As you mentioned the section you missed and returned to do later is very attractive and very awkward at one point where a bypass path is in operation where landslides have destroyed the original path at the base of a steep muddy slope.
The exceptionally muddy area approaching Oswald bridge is the route of an old waggonway [horse drawn carts taking coal to Ayr harbour]
Great that you came across a Little Egret. They are now regular winter visitors along the ayrshire coast tho normally on the actual coastline.
If you are planning at some time to walk upstream from Stair, there is a considerable detour due to total collapse of steep slopes above the riverside path about 0.3 mile above Stair.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Stair - Ayr River Ayr Xmas lethargy gone

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot for the informative comments. I have completed the Sorn - Stair section and will post that soon. Just the longer section to do but was leaving that for a spring day.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland