walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fraochaidh From Duror

Fraochaidh From Duror

Postby tall-story » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:05 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Fraochaidh

Date walked: 12/02/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 1136m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I Know there are a few reports of this hill but they mostly say that going from Duror is a bit of a bomb scare and really I felt that the reports were a bit unfair :? I realise that a couple of years ago when most of the felling was taking place it would be a mess, but not now. I read the reports and made my decision, while I liked the Ballachuilish route the lack of daylight and suffering from a bout of cold I thought the Duror route might not be so bad :thumbup: So after an uneventful drive other than a full setting moon that I had to use my sun visor to block out :shock: (how many times do you have to do that)?? And the odd stop to play with my new box of electronics and glass.
P1000012.JPG
Bridge of Orchy moon lit hills
So I arrived at Duror and soon was on my way with a cool but dry wind, it had the feel of a good day in the hills so following the route plan I was soon on the forestry tracks and it was steep-ish but really not bad at all
P1000027.JPG
The start of the forestry roads
P1000031.JPG
A wee look back to Ardgour
. All was frozen so I guess that the walking was maybe a bit easier than if it was wet and soggy, its a good couple of miles walk but soon enough you come to the end of the main track,
P1000033.JPG
The start of the new path up to the hill
while I was walking I was thinking of the ramble up through the felled forestry via stumps etc etc and not really looking forward to it at all when at the end of the road there was a really very steep but new path roughly going the direction I wanted :wink: It was going a wee bit more west than ideally I would have liked but as I had made good time this far I decided to follow it and sure enough after maybe 30-45 mins I was out of the trees and exactly where I wanted to be
P1000036.JPG
Getting there
P1000034.JPG
Nearly at the end of the new path
P1000038.JPG
P1000040.JPG
Great views all around :-)
The views were all starting to open up all around especially to Ardnamuchan and into Ballachulish and the Aonach Eagach area, Stunning!
P1000047.JPG
So I was where I wanted to be so I continued up the obvious ridge heading for the lochans that are marked on the maps, I headed for the S/West end of the first lochan just to get around it but if it is misty at all be careful as there is a bit of a drop into the lochan and I guess you could get caught out if not paying attention, once past this wee issue there is no more problems that should trouble you, if its clear just follow the obvious ridge,
P1000057.JPG
The fairly obvious ridge to the summit
P1000062.JPG
A wee break just to take in the views
P1000068.JPG
Ardgour again
P1000070.JPG
P1000074.JPG
Beinn a` Bheither etc
but if a bit claggy the old fence line will take you to the same destination. I had it very good so I just soaked in all the views and took numerous photos in every direction. It was a fairly easy walk and in around 2.5-3hrs you should be at the summit and oh the views are some of the best I`ve seen in this part of the world :D
P1000076.JPG
Final ridge to the summit
P1000080.JPG
Summit selfie
P1000088.JPG
P1000094.JPG
Summit Pano :-)
Once you`ve had your fill of photos
P1000101.JPG
I love this type of thing, on my way down now.
P1000102.JPG
Once wee were out of the wind we stopped for tea, and what a view!
its just a simple matter of re-tracing your steps back to the forest track and back down (the fairly steep and new un-consolidated path) till you meet the forest roads and eventually back to the welcoming committee
P1000204.JPG
The welcoming committee when you get back down (never noticed on the way up) !!!
P1000202.JPG
One last view back to Fraochaidh
soon after back where you started in all it took me just over 5hrs so I guess 5-6hrs is a fair estimation for most folk
P1000205.JPG
Stats for this walk
Go on a clear day if possible and I`m sure you will mostly enjoy this wee kind-of out of the way Corbett :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tall-story
Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:194
Grahams:20   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Fraochaidh From Duror

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:23 am

It was my half way Corbett :D I think very underrated! We used Balachulish route, but sadly, cloud lingered and we missed summit views. Still, we really enjoyed the walk along the ridge, over all the little bumps and tops.

An interesting alternative approach and the whole area looks fantastic in white, I'm not jealous at all :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:48   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Very nice indeed. I have had my eye on this one for the last wee while. Loch the shot across the lochan. :D
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby Bert Barnett » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Good route option. Could you give a grid reference guess for the start of the path. Did you use the bridge at 018 538?
Bert Barnett
Mountain Walker

Postby Bert Barnett » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for the assurance that the Duror approach is good. I had previously started at Ballachullish and twice from Glen Creran, so this was a welcome alternative. Worth noting that there is a parking space just short of the first house past the start of the walk which is the straight tarmac heading to the Wigwams ( did not see those?) The forest track is plain to see at the end. One left fork on the way up into the open. Track ends at NN 0134 5379 where the very steep path/track begins, and tops out at 0115 5322. A fine straightforward walk in plenty of open ground contrary to the map impression of solid forestry. PS walked on 10 January 2019 when only the highest hills had a dusting of snow.
Bert Barnett
Mountain Walker

Postby ianmcc » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:52 pm

Did this from the road end at Achnadarach where the parking is for Taigh Seamus na Ghlinne. We intended to cross the burn by the bridge marked on the map at 017537 but unfortunately it's no longer there.
It's perfectly easy to cross dryshod when the water is as low as today, and the path leading to the end of the track described is still relatively clear, with just the odd deadfall across it.
However I would *not* recommend the crossing if the burn is carrying a head of water. The dam upstream might give a safer option, but you would need to bushwhack your way down the far bank.
One potential benefit of this route would be that it would make Fraochaidh accessible from the bothy.
ianmcc

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Glad to hear there's a new path.Like Ianmcc I also crossed the burn - but there was a huge amount of deadfall on the path. You get Red Throated Divers on that tiny lochan though :D :D and I thought it was a good way up the hill
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland