walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Around sunny Loch Leven!

Around sunny Loch Leven!

Postby KatTai » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Route description: Loch Leven Heritage Trail, Kinross

Date walked: 04/03/2017

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 19.25 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather on Wednesday was too good to not go out, snow meant the hills were out for us but I had the Loch Leven Heritage Trail on my radar for a while and it was something I want to do before spring really started. Mainly because the only time I had done part of the trail previously myself and the predecessors of my current dogs made a hasty retreat due to the sheer number of ticks crawling around all over the place!

c.jpg

No such worries today, it was still frosty when we set off and once away from the busy car park area the dogs could be let off for a run, and with the exception of when we had to pass a horse they stayed off the lead the rest of the walk. They both had a lot of fun, especially Moss who was in her element with all the puddles!

1.jpg

For a short while we were joined by a spaniel who was apparently usually intolerant towards other dogs, but was perfectly happy running around with my two! He was so keen that he wanted to keep coming along with us, but eventually it was back to just my two running about.

26.jpg

A bit further along there was a sort-of beach where the dogs had a bit of a swim in the loch, most of the time the path is away from the water with a fence between so there aren't many places to get down to the water though they kept trying to find ways down!

32.jpg

37.jpg

Still, there was plenty of fun to be had in the forested bits with some forest agility!

39.jpg

40.jpg

I'd passed the turning to the Loch Leven Larder just before 12, a bit early for lunch. Bad news, the other place further along - when I was starting to feel ready for lunch - doesn't let dogs in, looks like dogs aren't even allowed on the decking bit outside (no dogs sign at the top of the steps)! Their loss was my dogs food suppliers gain, we finished with time to nip across to Glenrothes and stockup!

d.jpg

The new section after that, around the RSPB reserve, dragged quite a bit passing around fields of sheep and then a big deer fence between the path and the loch coupled with windbreaks so there was no real views of the loch. There are new trees planted (hence the windbreaks and deer fencingI guess!). This bit would definitely be better on a bike! Overall, rumbling stomach aside, it was a pleasant walk that the dogs very much enjoyed! I should add though, that there are signs requesting dogs are kept on the lead from the 1st of April due to breeding birds, though with fences on either side of the path for most of it I'm not sure if they need such restrictions but oh well! Unless the tick problem is reduced I don't fancy going in spring or summer anyway!

8.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland